Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install

How do I do a clean install? I’d like to reset my MacBook Pro as new.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 17, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 11:07 AM

If reselling, be sure to deauthorize your iTunes first.

Backup your computer's data.

Then if the Mac is July 2011 or later, and you want the original OS, command-option-shift-R boot the Mac while connected to the internet via hardware or a secure WiFi. Use Disk Utility to reformat the Mac HFS Extended GUID.

Then run the installer.

If you want the OS that is currently running, use command-R boot, and use Disk utility to format the top most partition after showing View all in Disk Utility.

Once reformatted, then Quit Disk Utility, and run the installer.

There is no "Clean install" option per se. Apple removed that prior to the Intel Macs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Azam0

If reselling, be sure to deauthorize your iTunes first.

Backup your computer's data.

Then if the Mac is July 2011 or later, and you want the original OS, command-option-shift-R boot the Mac while connected to the internet via hardware or a secure WiFi. Use Disk Utility to reformat the Mac HFS Extended GUID.

Then run the installer.

If you want the OS that is currently running, use command-R boot, and use Disk utility to format the top most partition after showing View all in Disk Utility.

Once reformatted, then Quit Disk Utility, and run the installer.

There is no "Clean install" option per se. Apple removed that prior to the Intel Macs.

Clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.