Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

m1 quicken for windows parallels

Looking/Considering purchase of New iMac. I run a variety of Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) programs in emulation within Parallels. Not running them is not an option.

New iMac (and ones to be released) run on Apple Silicon and require, for running Windows 10, a "not for retail sale" version of Windows from Microsoft for developers and others. This means "no support" from Microsoft. Moreover, it raises the question of whether my critical software will run within that version of Windows.

People at Apple store say "ask Apple." If anyone has thoughts on these matters I would appreciate reading them.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 17, 2021 5:59 PM

9 replies

May 17, 2021 7:42 PM in response to a146

Thank you etresoft and BobTheFisherman

I have had both thoughts but was concerned that I was being unduly cautious (?). My backup, interim, solution, is to buy a new Windows box (which I have not done in more than 20 years and run the Windows 10 software there. If I do that I will rely on my three year old MacBook Pro for traveling and "light" Windows software work.

I continue to be surprised (a mild word) that Apple and Parallels would encourage people to use an unsupported OS .

May 18, 2021 5:02 AM in response to a146

It is my understanding that at this time there is no VM Software that support M1 to run a version of Windows 10 on the newest ( yet to be released ) iMac M1 computer. Even at that - one would require getting an Unreleased version of Windows 10 designed for ARMS.

As Other has stated - mission critical Windows software - it best left to Intel CPU Macs for now.

May 18, 2021 7:03 AM in response to a146

a146 wrote:

I continue to be surprised (a mild word) that Apple and Parallels would encourage people to use an unsupported OS .

I would challenge you to provide any citation from Apple encouraging people to use an unsupported operating system.

Parallels is a different company with a different product. But here too, it is unreasonable to fault them for encouraging people to use their product. That's their product. The operating systems being run under Parallels have never been supported in any way. I would be surprised if you were surprised about that.

May 21, 2021 7:59 AM in response to jfclague

Since starting this thread I have had several useful discussions (on and offline) on the subject. I have a query off to Parallels to which they have not yet responded.

To narrow and make my "concerns" more specific, I reframed the question to be whether I could, using Parallels on the M1 (or successor) chip use Windows 10 Pro because I will not run Windows 10 without using Bitlocker. While rephrasing the question this way does not obviate all of the other questions it narrows the focus considerably.

A series of answers has led me to conclude that there is nothing in the available literature to say that Windows 10 Pro could run within Parallels on an M1 chip. There is a goodly amount of literature which says that Windows 10 Pro will not run within Parallels on an M1 chip. No one that I discussed the matter with had any idea whether Bitlocker could run on M1 (or successor) chip within Parallels.

There was a consensus of opinion that if I periodically use Microsoft support on the Windows 10 Pro installation it would be imprudent (at best) to switch to a version of Windows (the ARM version) without support.

Unless that consensus changes between now and when I purchase my replacement for my current (and much appreciated) Imac I will buy a Windows box to replace it. This will be the first time in over two decades that I have purchased a straight Windows box.

m1 quicken for windows parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.