Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage on Mac

Hi. I very recently subscribed to the 2TB storage pack for iCloud. I have been a Google Driver user historically and am now in process of migrating my items to iCloud. In the process I realised that the items in iCloud is occupying significant space in my Mac too. My question is:

Can it be so that my items are only stored in the cloud and not in the Mac? I would like my 500 gig space back in my Mac!

I find it counter intuitive if the items are using up spaces in the Mac as well as the iCloud.

Thanks for the assist in advance.

Stay safe!

Posted on May 17, 2021 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 2:41 PM

Hello AshHasan,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We see that you have some questions about using iCloud to free up space on your Mac, and we'd love to help.

When you use Store in iCloud and storage space is needed on your Mac, only the recent files used in Desktop and Documents are kept on your Mac. Older files are kept in iCloud. This is also the case for Messages if you're using Messages in iCloud. To learn more, take a look at the section "Store in iCloud" here:

How to free up storage space on your Mac

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 2:41 PM in response to AshHasan

Hello AshHasan,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We see that you have some questions about using iCloud to free up space on your Mac, and we'd love to help.

When you use Store in iCloud and storage space is needed on your Mac, only the recent files used in Desktop and Documents are kept on your Mac. Older files are kept in iCloud. This is also the case for Messages if you're using Messages in iCloud. To learn more, take a look at the section "Store in iCloud" here:

How to free up storage space on your Mac

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

iCloud storage on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.