You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 4

I sit with iPad streaming all day while I work. Am I best having it plugged in while doing this or should I let battery decrease and then charge up again? Just wondering if it plugged in all the time it might not be using as many charging cycles though could be completely wrong! I obviously use it not plugged in when away from my work desk.

Posted on May 18, 2021 5:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 5:54 AM

As described, running your iPad from its Power Adapter will do no harm - as the iPad will optimally charge the iPad battery. Running your iPad in this manner will do no harm, but instead will likely extend the serviceable life of the iPad battery by reducing the number of charge/discharge cycles over a period of time.

All batteries have a finite lifespan - principally determined by charge cycles. iPad batteries are rated to to retain 80% of their original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles - a full charge cycle being any combination of charges that total 100%. For example, charging your battery from 70 to 90% of its total capacity is a 20% charge; doing this five times equates to 100%, or one full cycle. Likewise, 60% + 30% + 10% = 100%

As you can see, running your iPad from its Power Adapter potentially reduces the number of charge cycles - and will therefore extend the usable life of your iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 18, 2021 5:54 AM in response to jonnymufc78

As described, running your iPad from its Power Adapter will do no harm - as the iPad will optimally charge the iPad battery. Running your iPad in this manner will do no harm, but instead will likely extend the serviceable life of the iPad battery by reducing the number of charge/discharge cycles over a period of time.

All batteries have a finite lifespan - principally determined by charge cycles. iPad batteries are rated to to retain 80% of their original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles - a full charge cycle being any combination of charges that total 100%. For example, charging your battery from 70 to 90% of its total capacity is a 20% charge; doing this five times equates to 100%, or one full cycle. Likewise, 60% + 30% + 10% = 100%

As you can see, running your iPad from its Power Adapter potentially reduces the number of charge cycles - and will therefore extend the usable life of your iPad.

iPad Air 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.