Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No IP address on iMac

I have an iMac running on Big Sur and today I haven’t been able to connect to wifi. I’m getting a “no IP address”. I’ve deleted the networks, rebooted the modem and the computer a dozen times, called my internet provider to see if there’s an issue but it won’t connect. Every other device is connected, including a MacBook Pro sitting directly beside the iMac. I’m desperate to get back online! I use the iMac with the larger screen for work. Help!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 18, 2021 3:36 PM

7 replies

May 18, 2021 7:49 PM in response to Streetscrapper

Please read the following about AV apps.

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for the AV app you have installed and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

No IP address on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.