Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Workflow Plan: Copy Libraries from El Capitan > Sierra

The Great Long Overdue Moving (Copying) Plan:

1. Format the extrenal Rotational drive in HFS+ for FCP Libraries

2. Organize drive by Calendar Year and copy Libraries to the appropriate file folder year

3. Copy El Capitan (OS v 10.11.6; X v 10.2.3)  Libraries to the external drive

4. Connect external drive to computer running Sierra (v 10.12.6; X v 10.3.4)

5. Verify each copied Library is fully functioning in Sierra

6. (much, much, later, TBD): Repeat above for copying Libaries from Sierra to Mojave but not part of this exercise.

Note:

No plan to include Generated files in the Copy process

There will be a few Motion 5 clips

Primary Reference to be used:

Will follow “Manage Media with Final Cut Pro Libraries”, White Paper

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Media_Management.pdf 

Note: there are numerous references that cover this subject mater but while this reference covers the process; however, it doesn’t have El Capitan as a starting point.

1. Page 10: Set storage location (external drive with CY1, CY2, CY3, etc]

2. Consolidate media files for the library

3. Managed media (p. 12): Single user, small projects, no sharing 

4. External Media (p. 13) - 6TB drive; user: Myself

5. Generated Media: not to be copied or moved

6. Consolidate (p. 16)

7. Delete Generated files (p. 16)

8. Archive (p. 18)

Is there something that won't work?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 18, 2021 4:42 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 20, 2021 10:49 AM in response to Alchroma

Alchroma wrote:

I would not expect any dramas going from Sierra to Mojave.

Al, Thanks for the comments, they are very useful and also confirm some of what has been written. The application has changed and improved over the years and it has been difficult to stay abreast of all the changes since 10.0.2.

Copying a Library is safer than moving.

I agree. Don't ask me why!

Yesterday was a struggle. Read through numerous articles (kb's, FC User Guide, etc.). Found this in "Move a Final Cut Pro Library", Published Nov 12, 2020, HT208805 that caused me to re-format the external drive to ensure the right boxes were checked so it was done correctly.

The first few Libraries (small ones) were Copied without any issues but the next two, big ones have issues with missing Project files. Really want to find a smooth workflow but due to the age of the Libraries, or the condition they were left in, the short plan is to Copy those that have no issues and deal with the problem ones as time allows.

Thanks again for commenting.

May 20, 2021 4:48 PM in response to Searchin99

When you Copy a Library to a new location you can confirm the Newly Copied Library is working correctly.

Using the "Move" function does not leave the original one in place.

I tend to think of the Copy procedure as having a working backup Library in the event that the Move function failed in some manner.

If some files are missing after the Copy:

Did you Consolidate beforehand?

Consolidate gathers any externally (sym linked files) held files and places them into the Library.

In effect making a Library from External to Managed.

The White Paper you referred to explains Managed Media and External Media.

Managed Media Libraries can be copied IMO with less to go wrong.

Another thing to consider is that copying can be done at a Project, Event or Library level depending on what is selected in the FCPro Browser.

You may be able to isolate a problem PROJECT this way copying one Project at a time.

Al

May 28, 2021 11:17 AM in response to Alchroma

Al,

Thanks for all the numerous details.

Speaking of details, I like the saying “The devil is in the details”.

Q: "If some files are missing after the Copy: Did you Consolidate beforehand?"

Answer: Yes. Every time. (also Consolidate and deleted generated files). Also checked to ensure the newly Copied Library is working correctly. 

"Managed Media Libraries can be copied IMO with less to go wrong."

Helpful observation!

And a helpful troubleshooting comment you made:

"Another thing to consider is that copying can be done at a Project,  Event or Library level  depending on what is selected in the FCPro Browser. "

Another thing to consider is that copying can be done at a Project, Event or Library level depending on what is selected in the FCPro Browser.
You may be able to isolate a problem PROJECT this way copying one Project at a time.

This is a good “nugget”! (one of several, BTW) There have been some Library issues I've encountered and this will be a good procedure to use.

As an aside, not connected with the original post, what has taken me so long I’ve been working on Copying other files, such as thousands of pictures from iPhonto ’11 in order to move them a newer system. I’m not a photographer and most of these are not my own; however, some individuals feel the need to save them all. Not using iPhoto to migrate and instead just captured the individual files. Quite a few duplicates and, surprisingly, some different photos with the same exact file name. Hsve to sort though all these. Lots of file management.

Plan to take the photo files, bypass Sierra then straight to, say, Catalina or Big Sur. To avoid problems in the future, will also save them in a separate File Folder for future use protection. This has been a lot of work, hence, the time lag to reply.

The Workflow Plan: Copy Libraries from El Capitan > Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.