Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypting a Seagate Slim EHD via Disk Utility

I'm trying to encrypt/password-protect my new Seagate Slim EHD. I first went into Disk Utility and clicked "Erase" under GUID Partition - initially tried going the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)" route, but kept getting a "failed" message when it went to perform the action.

Took a step back and clicked "Erase" under GUID Partition - this time with just "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". At least this way I was able to save it as a GUID, even though it wasn't encrypted yet. Then, when the icon was on the desktop I simply right-clicked and hit "Encrypt". It seems to be password-protected now. Can anyone tell me if I did the right thing, or if I did anything to it that I'll regret later?

I read somewhere that if I'm able to encrypt directly from the desktop, that means it's a Mac-only file. Does this mean I won't be able to ever open my EHD on a Windows device? Or that it won't be password-protected on a Windows device? Just want to be sure all my options are laid out.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 18, 2021 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 7:49 AM

Correct. Mediafour does offer Windows support for Mac formatted hard drives in the software called Macdrive.

Encrypting with file vault is for Mac specific files and resource forks.

If you need cross platform encryption, use a cross platform encryption format like PDF or Zip depending on whether or not it is a formatted printed document, or a file that just needs compression.

Resource forks help the file recognize what applications it can read by, and for applications that are platform specific help preserve integrity when moving between computers.

If you can't encrypt a hard drive with Disk Utility, it is possible that the some sectors of the hard drive have specific backup software installed. Some hard drives are designed that way.

Keep in mind the formatting on this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3003

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 7:49 AM in response to fran1884

Correct. Mediafour does offer Windows support for Mac formatted hard drives in the software called Macdrive.

Encrypting with file vault is for Mac specific files and resource forks.

If you need cross platform encryption, use a cross platform encryption format like PDF or Zip depending on whether or not it is a formatted printed document, or a file that just needs compression.

Resource forks help the file recognize what applications it can read by, and for applications that are platform specific help preserve integrity when moving between computers.

If you can't encrypt a hard drive with Disk Utility, it is possible that the some sectors of the hard drive have specific backup software installed. Some hard drives are designed that way.

Keep in mind the formatting on this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3003

Encrypting a Seagate Slim EHD via Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.