Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine stopped working suddenly: "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to backup from"

That sounds weird. Time Machine stopped working yesterday for good without any obvious reason.

I configured 2 external HD to be the backup HD. First it failed repetively on both disks (CF. error msg below).

Removing, adding or reformatting a single disk didn't help.

I tried to tick off automatic backup, then ticking it back on to no avail. I have no idea what happens or why.

Does that sound familiar to any one of you?

Catalina 10.15.7

iMac 2013

Backup disks:

Airport time capsule 3 TB

WD My passport 2TB

Br

--

Claude

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 19, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 9:27 AM

Claude,

Please restart in Safe Mode and then restart normally and test. Safe Mode Reset instructions

BTW, do you have any third party antivirus, cleaning or ANY other third party "maintenance" apps installed?

Similar questions

5 replies

May 20, 2021 5:20 AM in response to claude_210

Actually, as I mentioned in my first post, TM gave me the error again with a single reformatted HD (it happened to be a Time Capsule HD). So I gave up and forgot about it for a few hours. When I came back after a recovering nap, I was happily surprised to notice that TM had automagically recovered and was running a new backup.

So, I brought back the other HD as was earlier and TM is back to life.

It seems to me (although of course I cannot verify it) that the almost full (75%) HD situation building up triggered this problem. If so, that could come back again any time. I am ready.

Tx to rkaufmann87 and to mulberry58 for your time and advices!

--

Claude

Time Machine stopped working suddenly: "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to backup from"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.