Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3 and Fitness App Outdoor Walk Map

I have an Apple Watch 3 (GPS) linked to my iPhone 12 Pro Max. When I look at the Fitness App information about my outdoor walk each day, I can see a very nice map of where I walked - until a week ago. Now, huge portions of my walk are missing from the map. The distance is still recorded correctly but "segments" of my walk are missing on the map. This used to be fine but a week ago this started happening. My understanding is that though the Watch has a GPS sensor, it uses the GPS sensor in the iPhone. Is this a problem with the Watch or the iPhone? It seems really weird.

Apple Watch

Posted on May 19, 2021 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 9:22 PM

Yes when your iPhone is with you on the walks, your watch uses the GPS from your iPhone to preserve battery. For the most accurate GPS hold your iPhone in your hand, or wear it on an armband or waistband.

It might be good idea to recalibrate in any case.

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Here is some interesting guidance what to check on the iPhone as well:

https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-the-Compass-on-Google-Maps-on-iPhone-or-iPad

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 9:22 PM in response to HamsterDR

Yes when your iPhone is with you on the walks, your watch uses the GPS from your iPhone to preserve battery. For the most accurate GPS hold your iPhone in your hand, or wear it on an armband or waistband.

It might be good idea to recalibrate in any case.

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Here is some interesting guidance what to check on the iPhone as well:

https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-the-Compass-on-Google-Maps-on-iPhone-or-iPad

May 20, 2021 6:48 AM in response to better_half

Calibration wouldn't help as the watch already captures time and distance accurately on my morning walks. The only thing that has changed is that I have added a network extender for my home WiFi - and the iPhone occasionally drops the WiFi connection and reverts to cell when on the charger at home. It usually reconnects quickly when I pick up the phone. This issue is only happening for my iPhone 12 - not an iPhone 11 with a second cell line (both T-Mobile). But I don't see how that can have anything to do with the gps missing part of my walk. On my walk, the iPhone will be using a cell connection (5G) here in my neighborhood. It shouldn't be using the cell network to determine location - that's what the gps is for. Very odd.

May 20, 2021 9:37 AM in response to better_half

It worked correctly today. Don't know why. I did check my location a couple of times on the walk via Maps and it had my location correct then. I am going to reboot the iPhone and see if that helps and then monitor what happens going forward. I think they is some glitch in sending the information to the Fitness application. This morning when I first checked the Fitness app and looked at the map, it was correct for a second, then erased everything. I exited Fitness and then started it again and found the correct map. I though the Fitness app might show my progress as I walked - but it doesn't. Apparently, after the walk is ended, the information is sent to the Fitness app. That doesn't seem reliable.

David

Apple Watch 3 and Fitness App Outdoor Walk Map

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.