Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word to pages

I know how to use Word. everything I have is Microsoft Word for Mac. I bought it. has worked fine. now I'm suppose to buy ANOTHER program?? I have Pages, but have no clue how it works - how to create letters and posters in pages. I am baffled. and Apple Store is still closed. How do I get any help??

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 4:24 PM

Microsoft ended support for Office 2011 for Mac in early Oct 2017. They admitted that they never tested the product with macOS High Sierra as it was so close to retirement. So, no updates to Office 2011 for Mac since Sept 2017 (as 14.7.7). There are those that report that Office 2011 for Mac works for their needs on macOS Mojave, and those that claim it is broken. Your mileage will vary.

Your purchase of Office 2011 for Mac was valid as long as it works on your Mac running Mojave. I believe Microsoft disabled their license servers for all retired products, so if you removed Office 2011 for Mac and tried to reinstall it, you likely won't have a functional license. That would indicate the need for a new Microsoft 365 subscription, or a single purchase of Office 2019 for Mac.

If you don't have a working copy of Office 2011 for Mac, then your options are a new Microsoft 365 subscription and updated applications from the Apple Mac App Store for that subscription. Or, you can single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac from Apple's online store, or even use the free LibreOffice Suite which is a superset of MS Office. Of note is that Microsoft plans to release the single-purchase Office 2022 for Mac this Fall, and will probably retire Office 2019 for Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 4:24 PM in response to help_please_with_office

Microsoft ended support for Office 2011 for Mac in early Oct 2017. They admitted that they never tested the product with macOS High Sierra as it was so close to retirement. So, no updates to Office 2011 for Mac since Sept 2017 (as 14.7.7). There are those that report that Office 2011 for Mac works for their needs on macOS Mojave, and those that claim it is broken. Your mileage will vary.

Your purchase of Office 2011 for Mac was valid as long as it works on your Mac running Mojave. I believe Microsoft disabled their license servers for all retired products, so if you removed Office 2011 for Mac and tried to reinstall it, you likely won't have a functional license. That would indicate the need for a new Microsoft 365 subscription, or a single purchase of Office 2019 for Mac.

If you don't have a working copy of Office 2011 for Mac, then your options are a new Microsoft 365 subscription and updated applications from the Apple Mac App Store for that subscription. Or, you can single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac from Apple's online store, or even use the free LibreOffice Suite which is a superset of MS Office. Of note is that Microsoft plans to release the single-purchase Office 2022 for Mac this Fall, and will probably retire Office 2019 for Mac.

May 19, 2021 5:48 PM in response to help_please_with_office

If you are using macOS Mojave 10.14, you can continue to use Office 2011/2016 for Mac. However, when you upgrade to macOS Catalina or later, you will need one of the Microsoft 365 (subscription), or Office 2019 for Mac (single-purchase) 64-bit application suites. Or the free LibreOffice Suite which is a superset clone of MS Office.

Pages is not a Word clone, and when you open a Word document, it is translated into an internal Pages document format without making any changes to the Word document. When you want the Pages content back in Word format, you must export it to Word. This too is a translation process and the exported Word document may look nothing like it does in Pages, or as it did before it was opened. This is the peril of translation, something you would not have to deal with if using MS Word, or apologize for if you are sharing Word documents with other Word users.

The current versions of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote that are in the Mac App Store now require macOS Catalina or later, and cannot be installed on macOS Mojave.

These are fellow user supported communities and not Apple-badged support.

May 25, 2021 2:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

reply is good - thanks!!! I am using MAC Mojave 10.14, and the word for Mac is 2011. so, per you reply above, I should still be able to use it. however not working that way! says I cannot edit or change anything without buying 365. the apple store is still closed, but the microsoft store is open: perhaps they'll be able to tell me what's going on? unless there's a phone number for microsoft office support. ????

word to pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.