Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding links in Pages 11

In iBooks we could make an image become a link. The most obvious example: the black Apple logo that says Download from iBooks, we clicked there and it opened the page where the book was for sale. I suppose that has disappeared also, is there an Apple Bookstore download logo?

at any rate, an image, such as the cover of the book, that when clicked leads to the book in the Apple bookstore.

OR, is text the only way to add links?

Just testing Pages for now, with a 4 Page leaflet to see if it can do some of what iBooks did.

thank you for any tips,

manystories

iPad Mini 5, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 19, 2021 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 4:02 AM

Why don't you throw random samples of text and images into a test Pages document, and then export that to an EPUB on your Desktop? Embed the fonts and due to the mixture of text and images, choose the Fixed Layout for Layout. Now, double-click the EPUB to open it in Apple Books and you will notice it will present page-turning arrows that appear as you pass your pointer over the right and left margins.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 4:02 AM in response to manystories

Why don't you throw random samples of text and images into a test Pages document, and then export that to an EPUB on your Desktop? Embed the fonts and due to the mixture of text and images, choose the Fixed Layout for Layout. Now, double-click the EPUB to open it in Apple Books and you will notice it will present page-turning arrows that appear as you pass your pointer over the right and left margins.

May 19, 2021 5:39 PM in response to manystories

Pages 11 is not iBooks Author and does not offer any of its features to create that kind of content in Pages. By default, Pages v11 will not allow you to assign a link to an image.

I have shown several examples in the Pages community over the years of overlaying an image with a text box filled with characters that when selected, one applies a link to the selection. Then you can overlay that text box on the image and when exported to a PDF, the link on the image will work.

If you try that when exporting an EPUB from Pages, the conversion process will create an HTML div of the text characters separate from the Image, and it is a mess. I even demonstrated with low-level HTML/CSS syntax changes to the EPUB how to correct it so it looks as it did in Pages with a functional image link. Not for the feint of heart though.

May 19, 2021 8:08 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks very much for your quick reply, Viking OSX, now I remember reading about overlaying the image and text and hiding it somehow. Really not worth the trouble in this case.

now that i am actually designing a book in Pages, would you mind answering just one more question?

When designing a book in Pages, the pages appear one under the other like a PDF. After the

book is Published to be sold at the Apple store, and downloaded, will it scroll sideways like iBook? Does the publishing process take care of that? That decides it for me., this is a picture book and the idea is to flip pages like a real book .... like in iBooks. I know its not the same, just asking if this feature is in Pages or not.

thank you very much,

manystories

adding links in Pages 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.