Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging and startup issue

My macbook pro isn't getting charged and won't turn on as well. It's been 6 hours now on the charger.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 19, 2021 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 7:57 PM

dhirensh Said:

"Charging and startup issue: My macbook pro isn't getting charged and won't turn on as well. It's been 6 hours now on the charger."

-------

Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues before?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 7:57 PM in response to dhirensh

dhirensh Said:

"Charging and startup issue: My macbook pro isn't getting charged and won't turn on as well. It's been 6 hours now on the charger."

-------

Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues before?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

May 20, 2021 7:05 AM in response to dhirensh

dhirensh Said:

"Charging and startup issue: [...]Whenever I try to switch on my macbook pro it shows this cable and charge logo, with a red light blinking on the battery sign.

———-

Thank you for the follow up reply.

This is the SIL (Status Indicator Light).

Go Here: Mac Computer Status Indicator Light Behavior - Apple Support

Run a Diagnostics Test:

What you are seeing is the SIL (Status Indicator Light Status). So, hold down the D key upon boot to run the Diagnostics Test. How it blinks indicates what the issue is. Indeed this has something to do with power.

So, contact Apple Support first and then take this to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they can service this

Either it can be fixed or it cannot be fixed. If fixing it is not an option, then consider getting a new or used Mac for yourself. If you get a used Mac, then be certain the current user signs themselves out of iCloud on it. Elsewise the Mac would be useless to you.

So, here is the Contact Info:

Contacting Apple:

Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

May 20, 2021 1:12 AM in response to TheLittles

I haven't installed any os update. It's the default os high Sierra which is there from the day I bought my macbook pro. But there are other little apps which i keep on updating.

I haven't had any battery issues before, until the day I got this problem. My battery was at 5%. I had safari on and was browsing the Internet. I connected the charger but it still drained to 0% and suddenly my macbook pro shut off completely. I have connected my charger multiple times since then for hours altogether, but nothing shows up on the screen. Whenever I try to switch on my macbook pro, it shows this cable and charge logo, with red light blinking on the battery sign.

This macbook pro has not been serviced recently

May 23, 2021 6:03 AM in response to TheLittles

Ok, you will not believe this because it is so weird.

I cleaned my macbook pro laptop, adapter, power cord wires and everything else because I was prepared to submit my laptop to the repair station. After this I tried my luck once again at charging my laptop and to see if it gets on. And as to my surprise after 3 to 4 days of coma, it came to life again.

This is so weird but I'm happy my laptop is working now and getting charged as well.

Charging and startup issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.