Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get Mac Mini M1 to do digital audio passthrough

Hi:

I have a newish Mini M1, and I'm using the HDMI to hook up to a surround sound receiver. However, when presented with media known to have a digital audio track, it's doing a 2-channel mixdown and relaying PCM instead of the original audio stream.

I can't find a way to get the Mini to behave how I want. I have a Linux box with an S/PDIF output which works fine for this purpose. I'm having a hard time believing I'm regressing going to a Mac.

Thanks,

-Clint

Posted on May 20, 2021 12:52 AM

7 replies

May 20, 2021 11:10 AM in response to Clint Olsen

Clint Olsen wrote:

I don't need to use a separate S/PDIF output. There's a perfectly fine digital output via HDMI. Apple has chosen to cripple it for whatever reason.

It is not unusual for Apple to not fully support their

hardware capabilities. FWIW, it seems they only support

the capabilities of what ever the iTunes Store will deliver.

Anyway from the M1 MacMini spec:

Audio

• Built-in speaker
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • HDMI 2.0 port supports multichannel audio output

Of course Apple does not elaborate on what multichannel

formats are supported (of course the iTunes Store media

formats are supported).

May 20, 2021 10:37 AM in response to hcsitas

I already have my collection of DVD and Blu-Ray ripped and stored on my NAS, and I'm not interested in buying these titles yet again on another streaming service.

I guess the Mini is no longer a viable solution for a HTPC. If I had known this I would never have purchased the device in the first place. Of course trying to get an answer to such a question ahead of time is pretty much impossible.

May 20, 2021 1:10 PM in response to woodmeister50

Yes, the details there are sorely lacking. The Audio Midi Setup has a bunch of ghosted entries for many "Encoded" formats at various bitrates, but it's not clear to me how those become available or how well they work. They are 2-channel anyway, and that's obviously wrong.

There are multi-channel options, too. Those unfortunately mean the Mac is (probably) attempting at doing some sort of en/decode, and this is devoid of any auto-detect for what the audio format is. It's also audibly inferior to just passing the audio format directly. I A/B'd it against my old Linux HTPC running Kodi and have audio passthrough enabled on that.

Cannot get Mac Mini M1 to do digital audio passthrough

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.