Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filevault

I turned on Filevault and it got started on encrypting my files. However. I had no idea this could takes days. Why does Apple not build into Filevault an estimate of the time needed and ask if you would like to do this later? I am afraid to interrupt this process. When you turn off Filevault, does it take as long to unencrypt your files. Can you stop the process and pick it up later?

Does Apple have a suggestion box for new ideas for the OS software?

Mac Pro

Posted on May 20, 2021 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 10:03 AM

You can use the following to give feedback to Apple: Feedback - macOS - Apple

I personally haven't found it to be a problem. I just use my Mac normally while it is encrypting. Nothing you do will harm it.

I have used FileVault for years on several Macs that I have owned and have never turned it off so I don't have personal experience of how long that takes but I suspect it is similar to the original encryption.

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support has the following information about how you can check the progress:

Encryption occurs in the background as you use your Mac, and only while your Mac is awake and plugged in to AC power. You can check progress in the FileVault section of Security & Privacy preferences. Any new files that you create are automatically encrypted as they are saved to your startup disk.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 10:03 AM in response to lyndonr

You can use the following to give feedback to Apple: Feedback - macOS - Apple

I personally haven't found it to be a problem. I just use my Mac normally while it is encrypting. Nothing you do will harm it.

I have used FileVault for years on several Macs that I have owned and have never turned it off so I don't have personal experience of how long that takes but I suspect it is similar to the original encryption.

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support has the following information about how you can check the progress:

Encryption occurs in the background as you use your Mac, and only while your Mac is awake and plugged in to AC power. You can check progress in the FileVault section of Security & Privacy preferences. Any new files that you create are automatically encrypted as they are saved to your startup disk.

Filevault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.