Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i lock my phone to backup my icloud?

how do i lock my phone to backup my icloud? i’m on an iphone 7+ but i have all of the updated stuff

Posted on May 20, 2021 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 8:15 AM

jessgirll wrote:

it said that my storage was to full to do it but i only have 3.1gb used out of the 5

That would be the “Check that you have enough available space in iCloud for the backup. When you sign in to iCloud, you get 5GB of iCloud storage for free. If you need more iCloud storage, you can buy more from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. Plans start at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month. Learn more about prices in your region.” step. (The blue text links here have more information on those topics, too.)

You have more “stuff” stored on your iPhone than you have free space available in iCloud.

If you’d prefer not to back up to iCloud for whatever reason, it is also possible to connect to and to back up to a local Mac or Microsoft Windows computer.

As some folks here have learned far too late, backups need to happen before the device is lost or stolen or damaged or dunked or fails too, or the contents of the device can be irrevocably lost. Regular backups are the only means to reduce the chances of data loss, if there is anything unique and valuable stored on your device.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2021 8:15 AM in response to jessgirll

jessgirll wrote:

it said that my storage was to full to do it but i only have 3.1gb used out of the 5

That would be the “Check that you have enough available space in iCloud for the backup. When you sign in to iCloud, you get 5GB of iCloud storage for free. If you need more iCloud storage, you can buy more from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. Plans start at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month. Learn more about prices in your region.” step. (The blue text links here have more information on those topics, too.)

You have more “stuff” stored on your iPhone than you have free space available in iCloud.

If you’d prefer not to back up to iCloud for whatever reason, it is also possible to connect to and to back up to a local Mac or Microsoft Windows computer.

As some folks here have learned far too late, backups need to happen before the device is lost or stolen or damaged or dunked or fails too, or the contents of the device can be irrevocably lost. Regular backups are the only means to reduce the chances of data loss, if there is anything unique and valuable stored on your device.

May 20, 2021 7:17 PM in response to jessgirll

Per Apple: To let iCloud automatically back up your device each day, here's what you need to do:

• Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  • Connect your device to a power source.
  • Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  • Make sure that your device's screen is locked.
  • Check that you have enough available space in iCloud for the backup. When you sign in to iCloud, you get 5GB of iCloud storage for free. If you need more iCloud storage, you can buy more from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. Plans start at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month. Learn more about prices in your region.

To lock your iPhone, press the side button. Same as when you sleep it, and have to use Face ID or Touch ID or the passcode, depending on the iPhone model and settings.

how do i lock my phone to backup my icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.