Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continue dictation when switching apps

Is there a way that I can use my Mac to continue dictating my voice even when I switch focus to a different app?

e.g. I'm using dictation with Apple Notes to record my thoughts about something I'm reading online but as soon as I interact with the browser, dictation stops.

If I use my phone to record my voice I can continue recording while switching apps on my Mac but it would be nice not to have to rely on a second device.

Is there a clever way to keep dictating while I jump from one app to the next?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 21, 2021 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 7:03 AM

If you are willing to make some adjustments, it may be that you can make it work.

Here is a small Automator quick action that would switch to Safari and activate dictation:

The catch is that for this to work you'd have to forgo the usual Command-Tab and assign some shortcut to this Service; and then it would be specific to Safari.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2021 7:03 AM in response to Matt Busfield

If you are willing to make some adjustments, it may be that you can make it work.

Here is a small Automator quick action that would switch to Safari and activate dictation:

The catch is that for this to work you'd have to forgo the usual Command-Tab and assign some shortcut to this Service; and then it would be specific to Safari.

May 21, 2021 6:33 AM in response to Matt Busfield

You start dictation by pressing the Fn key twice - at least that is the default, and that is what I do.

When you stop after a while, or change to another application, it stops. That is how it works.

Dictation is a deliberate action by the user, as is switch to the browser. It may be that there is not even a text input box selected, so dictation would not make sense.

Just press Fn Fn and start dictating is what I suggest.

I for one would not want that something I say is interpreted as dictation without my meaning to.

May 21, 2021 6:53 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis

Yes, I understand this is how the default dictation service works and I completely understand your concerns about a dictation tool permanently listening in.

Nevertheless I would still be interested to learn if anyone has found a way to continue transcribing when switching from one app to another.

It would just be handy in some situations, like having my very own secretary typing up my thoughts as I flit from one job to another.

May 21, 2021 8:47 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That's a brilliantly simple solution!

Here's how I modified it so that whichever app I'm using, I can start dictating into the bottom of an open TextEdit document.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble to help.

I'm sure I'll find this very useful

on run {input, parameters}
	(* Your script goes here *)
	tell application "TextEdit" to activate
	delay 0.3
	tell application "System Events"
		key code 125 using command down
		key code 36
		key code {63, 63}
	end tell
	return input
end run

May 21, 2021 9:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This script may complain "com.automator.runner.xpc is not allowed to send keystrokes".

This can be overcome by allowing the app (from which the dictation script is being launched), to control your computer.

(System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Accessibility)

e.g. If I want to launch the 'dictate to TextEdit' script using a keystroke while I'm in Safari, I need to let Safari control my computer.

This workaround doesn't seem very secure but it'll do for me, for now!

Continue dictation when switching apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.