Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

attention aware features enabled by default turns phone ringer off after slightly ringing once.

When I bought my iPhone XR from Apple, "attention aware features" enabled by default turns the phone ringer off after slightly ringing once. I had to reset recently and it defaults to the same problem.

I read that this is a glitch but if so, an update should have corrected this but I am at 14.5.1 and have had many updates without fixing this issue. If one is not aware of this and in a noisy area they won't know someone had called at the time. My wife's identical phone has the same issue.

I would think the default should be a normal ring and attention aware features an option when necessary.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on May 21, 2021 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 8:51 AM

I have attention aware on (and have had since the feature was first added); my phone rings loudly multiple times and continues ringing until I look at the phone and then it continues ringing but at a decreased volume. If you want to turn the option off, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Attention Aware Features.

See: About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2021 8:51 AM in response to prime26

I have attention aware on (and have had since the feature was first added); my phone rings loudly multiple times and continues ringing until I look at the phone and then it continues ringing but at a decreased volume. If you want to turn the option off, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Attention Aware Features.

See: About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro - Apple Support

May 21, 2021 11:38 AM in response to prime26

The way you describe how your phones work is not how it is designed to work. Sorry, but I can't think of any reason why both of your iPhone would work that way over a 3 year period and multiple software updates. You may want to contact Apple support to see if they can help. There is a Contact Support link at the top right of this page.

May 21, 2021 8:58 AM in response to FoxFifth

I have the XR and so does my wife. When enabled and with not looing at it, it rings slightly once then stops ringing.

This much is redundant but your message suggests there is something wrong with my phone as it does not behave as yours does.

I reported this when we first got the phones 3 years ago but the agent just said to disable it.

I think I missed the boat by accepting that.

attention aware features enabled by default turns phone ringer off after slightly ringing once.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.