Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-transfer a Clipper card to a new phone?

I recently upgraded my phone, but apple wallet won't let you transfer cards from old to new and because I had the card on my old phone, the physical card is no longer active (and thus won't allow transfer). How do I get the card into apple wallet in my new phone?

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on May 21, 2021 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 9:37 PM

Yes, Apple needs to figure this out and help immediately. I just upgraded my phone and set it up today and it didn’t transfer my existing Clipper Card from my previous iPhone’s Apple Wallet. It wasn’t even an option for some reason. I had a nice balance on it and need to get that back on my new phone. Apple please help us ASAP.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 9:37 PM in response to rajeesht3

Yes, Apple needs to figure this out and help immediately. I just upgraded my phone and set it up today and it didn’t transfer my existing Clipper Card from my previous iPhone’s Apple Wallet. It wasn’t even an option for some reason. I had a nice balance on it and need to get that back on my new phone. Apple please help us ASAP.

Aug 8, 2021 10:14 AM in response to Nicole SF

Here is my experience with solving the problem. A) Delete the card from your old phone (as others have pointed out). B) Wait a few hours, and then add to the new phone. I did what others suggested and deleted the card from my old phone, and I was able to see the option to add that card to the new phone, but it would not finish setup because somewhere in the systems it still thought I had the card in the old phone (even though the Clipper app actually said it was on no phones). So I waited a few hours and did the same thing and it finally worked. So my suggestion is to delete the card and if you have issues come back in a few hours or the next day.

Sep 30, 2021 6:03 PM in response to Nicole SF

If you found this thread and, like me, already reset and traded in your old phone you’re in luck! You can remove cards and then remove your old device from your Apple ID here: https://appleid.apple.com/manage/section/devices/edit

Once I did that my clipper card showed up as a “previous card” for me to readd in Wallet. It does say to wait 24 hours before trying to add it at the moment but fingers crossed it’ll all just work when I try again tomorrow!

Nov 30, 2021 12:10 PM in response to abeach78

Final update: I waited over a week and called back about my IT request. It had apparently disappeared into the ether. The new support person just did what the original one should've (imo) and just gave me a new card with my total for free. I don't think I'll be adding the card back to my phone after this ordeal. Especially since with masks (due to the COVID) and getting my phone on the scanner in the right spot I was struggling to get it to scan anyway. Causing a hold up in the line of people trying to get on a bus while you fiddle with your phone was NOT fun!

May 22, 2021 10:35 AM in response to Nicole SF

Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with adding a card to your wallet. You mentioned the card is no longer active. You might need to contact the card issuer or bank to get the card information, or a new card.

Learn How to use Wallet on your iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple Watch here. You might want to try the steps in the section "How to add a pass to Wallet".

Have a nice day!

Aug 9, 2021 2:22 PM in response to Mobilehunter

My Clipper Card failed on my Apple Watch over the weekend when trying to get on BART and Muni (it had been activated and used once before to confirm it worked), so I ended up having to buy a new physical Clipper Card. After talking with Clipper Card support today (after a 30 minute wait) they convinced me to delete the Clipper Card from the Apple Watch Wallet. After deleting the Clipper Card, I was unable to get it re-activated immediately. Thanks, Nicole, for the suggestion. I was able to get it successfully re-activated on my Apple Watch after waiting about four hours. Now, hopefully, it will work going forward, otherwise this may be failed a "experiment" on the part of Clipper Card and/or Apple. If it fails again, I'm considering reporting the card as "lost" and getting a new physical card...arghh...

Sep 1, 2021 3:49 PM in response to Nicole SF

Found another thread and got the right solution that worked (cut and pasted here):

rajeesht3

User level:

Level 1

(9 points)

Jun 3, 2021 9:46 PM in response to rajeesht3

So I took a leap of faith and deleted my Clipper Card from old phone and then tried adding new Clipper card on new phone and lo and behold my old card was added. The help page only mentions removing card from phone but does not mention that it will be added to new phone once deleted.

Sep 24, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Nicole SF

Just did this with my new iPhone. First you have to remove the card from your old phone. Then wait about 30 minutes to an hour. In the Wallet app on your new phone tap the add button then select your Clipper card which will be in the Previous Cards section. If you get an error saying the card can't be added then try waiting a bit longer, it will eventually work!

Sep 28, 2021 5:11 PM in response to thaoherbie

Once you move the account from the plastic card to the iPhone wallet, you apparently can't use the plastic card anymore. At least, it didn't work when I tried to use it for setting up my new iPhone. It said the card wasn't active. Luckily, you don't need it. You just have to write down the Service Number from your old iPhone wallet, then delete the card from there, then add it to the new phone as I described just above. If it doesn't work for you, some other people have said that after a day or two it did show up. (Possibly this was just because they might not have known to stare at the screen for a number of seconds like a goldfish, waiting for the Previous Cards to show up. It's a real User Interface shortfall, IMHO. But a bigger shortfall is that the Clipper Card is not automatically transferred when the rest of you wallet is!)

Oct 11, 2021 12:23 AM in response to TomStretches

Following up on my previous post: while I was able to successfully remove my card and device from my Apple ID using the management portal online waiting 24 hours did not cause the re-add card error to go away. In fact it caused the re-add option to disappear entirely. I finally got through to clipper customer service and my options were either pay $5 to transfer the balance to another card or file an IT ticker with a 48 hour turn around through them. I did the latter so we’ll see if they can save my card from the ether.

TLDR: if you traded in your device without removing the card you might be SOL and need to call clipper support. I’d suggest maybe first try just removing the cards from your old device and not the device entirely as I did? But then again this seems like an issue on the clipper side not apple…

How do I re-transfer a Clipper card to a new phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.