Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 2021 Apple TV 4K not playing Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc

I am unable to play Atmos with the new Apple TV 4K.

Anyone else having this problem?

Audio Format only shows Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo

Posted on May 21, 2021 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 9:21 PM

I'm feeding the ATMOS from the basement where my Apple TV is through Crestron NVX and then into the TV. I believe the ATMOS comes through fine, but it doesn't go into the TV and get processed - hence no sound.

I can play ATMOS through the TV's Google interface though. So, you may be onto something there.

I have both XBR55A8H, and XBR55A8H.

But then in the basement I have a computer with an NVIDA card that will put out the ATMOS Sound, but the sound doesn't come out of the Marantz Receiver. I get 7.1 to work, but not ATMOS sound.

There is some question on my end how the NVX endpoints move the sound and that they might be sensing a lack of NVX support somewhere which then causes them to not send it -- I'm not clear on that. I just know that ATMOS Sound results in no sound, and that the Apple TV will only give me 5.1 when I select it.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 9:21 PM in response to kuoweitseng

I'm feeding the ATMOS from the basement where my Apple TV is through Crestron NVX and then into the TV. I believe the ATMOS comes through fine, but it doesn't go into the TV and get processed - hence no sound.

I can play ATMOS through the TV's Google interface though. So, you may be onto something there.

I have both XBR55A8H, and XBR55A8H.

But then in the basement I have a computer with an NVIDA card that will put out the ATMOS Sound, but the sound doesn't come out of the Marantz Receiver. I get 7.1 to work, but not ATMOS sound.

There is some question on my end how the NVX endpoints move the sound and that they might be sensing a lack of NVX support somewhere which then causes them to not send it -- I'm not clear on that. I just know that ATMOS Sound results in no sound, and that the Apple TV will only give me 5.1 when I select it.

Jul 28, 2021 4:55 AM in response to joefromroselle

I have a Sony STRDN 1060 And it has 4K pass through Complain true HD, Dolby Atmos, Digital 7.1 Digital 5.1 etc. and it does it all automatically through HDMI I get all of that through my Blu-ray player and anything else I plug up to it and when you are watching a specific program that has it it is supposed to show up what type of audio is recognized on the 4K TV all the options are all right. I’m sorry but Apple has got to fix this with a firmware update everything is correct the settings are correct my receiver is up-to-date because it has digital updates and I get all of the Dolby Atmos in all of the true HD through everything else but the 2021 4K TV. Apple fix it. I want an actual person from Apple who has a tech background to plug it into receiver and the TV and see what happens don’t tell me to go to settings it’s not there and if it’s not there it means my receiver can’t do it that’s not true. We’re not crazy, Apple isn’t doing there due diligence.

May 22, 2021 12:40 PM in response to joefromroselle

Hello joefromroselle,

After reviewing your post, it seems like there is trouble playing audio in Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV. We would recommend you use this article for more information.

"Check if Dolby Atmos is set up

On your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Audio Format. Under Immersive Audio, check that Dolby Atmos is on. If you don't see Immersive Audio and Dolby Atmos as an option, you might need to change how your home entertainment system is set up. If you're using home theater audio with HomePod as your Default Audio Output, Dolby Atmos is already set up and you won't see the Immersive Audio option in Settings."

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Jun 2, 2021 8:32 PM in response to mario49

When I look at the audio format screen the change format selection is marked "on" and is locked so I can't change it. Under that field there is the "New Format" where either Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo can be selected. Then Immersive Audio is visible underneath that and is marked "Not Available." I'm on the latest 4.6 version and have a pair of HomePods hooked up. I certainly see "Immersive Audio" but it can't be changed. Can you explain that?

Jun 26, 2021 4:43 AM in response to mario49

I have connected the Appletv 4k 2021 version to my Marantz SR6015 AVR. IT supports Dolby vision and dolby atmos

However the Netflix app does not show Dolby vision or Atmos even for shows that support it. I get "Ultrahd 4k" for image quality and "5.1" for audio.

For example the series "Altered carbon " is shot in dolby vision and atmos. I can see this if I use my Sony tv X900h native app

I see dolby vision when I use the Amazon firetv4k in the same MArantz receiver. Hence it is not a receiver problem.

I have set the Immersive Audio to Atmos on and change format to "off"

The main reason I went for Appletv4k was for dolby vision and atmos experience to be better than the native tv app. I have a 9.1 home theatre setup for dolby atmos and Sony 65 inch tv X90H. Hence the setup also is not a problem

It seems to be some settings /app issue in the appletv4k which I am unable to figure out.

Please help me out

Jul 4, 2021 7:42 PM in response to joefromroselle

I am having a similar problem with my newer Sony TV's, my Apple TV 4K 1st Gen and my Marantz 7013.

It's running over Crestron NVX.

I have no sound when I try to play Dolby ATMOS content on the Apple TV.

I have sound if a drop the sound level to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the Apple TV.

I have a computer hooked up to the system as well with an NVIDA Card that supports ATMOS.

If I play in my Theatre where the sound goes through the amp, I can get sound at Dolby 7.1, but I do not get sound if I select ATMOS, but it works fine at 7.1 (the sound card supports 7.1).

If I play upstairs, I get sound when I align the sound with the output -- so, for instance that 7.1 content above from YouTube plays on the TV at 5.1, but will not play at 7.1 or with Atmos enabled.

If I use the programs on the TV, a newer Sony TV, everything works fine. I get the ATMOS sound and everything is good.

Seems odd that Apple TV is delivering an inferior sound experience. Usually they are ahead of the game here.

What am I doing wrong?

Jul 29, 2021 8:12 AM in response to Lanky-Kiwi

As an update to my post, I believe that my issue is with the Crestron NVX system. They have 60hz 4:4:4, but not 60hz 4:2:2. I need the 60hz 4:2:2 to allow the ATMOS sound to pass through as my impression is that I run out of bandwidth on the HDMI cable and thus the sound doesn't pass (IE, no sound comes through). This resolution has to be custom programmed into the system because I guess no one would use it as a default (just kidding here, everyone does, but why Crestron doesn't have it in there is beyond me). And with Crestron, you can't ask them, you can only ask your dealer. Dealer says 5.1 is great, so why bother -- "you don't need ATMOS".

But I think we'll get this resolved when I see my dealer again after his 9 month vacation traveling across the US. Crestron has been good for him, though for me ... well, I'm less certain of that. But I do have Crestron Lighting, and so I figure best to keep it all the same. On the video it's a pain -- an Apple TV for every TV has value perhaps.

Sep 6, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Nickythefish

Unfortunately Sonos Arc has to be plugged into the eArc port of the tv and any streaming device also must be plugged into the TV. This works with every other streaming device I've tested, including Roku, Chromecast with Google TV, and Amazon's Fire. All of these boxes cost about a third of the Apple box and work flawlessly. Why not Apple??????

Sep 11, 2021 8:34 AM in response to SanjayRaoKulur

Out of all your listed settings, the one that stands out the most is the DOLBY VISION on your Sony TV. That is the key element that has to be present in the TV to be able to watch UHD content as well as Dolby Atmos sound. If your TV doesn’t support the Dolby Vision and HDR10, then you are going to have a audio problems when you are trying to watch 4K content on Apple TV. Apple specifically recommends the customers that you need a Dolby Vision as well as HDR10 compatible TV to watch the 4K content. As for Dolby Atmos sound features, there are a lot more to it, than just enabling the Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV. You need the Dolby Atmos capable speakers and the exact setup of the speakers and correct selection of the speakers’ layouts in the receiver.

Apple also advises, that Apple 4K TV doesn’t support the HDMI ARC port to watch the UHD/HDR content. Your TV and AVR both must have HDMI 2.1 eARC port to play Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos content. Regular HDMI 2.0 ARC doesn’t support the latest technology such as HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. Since often times Dolby Atmos sound is associated with the HDR/Dolby Vision content, you might see the 4K (UHD) video without the audio. In order words the 4K refers to the resolution, while the HDR and Dolby Vision refers to the image/color enhancement/quality. In the end it all comes down to 10 bit color depth vs the old 8 bit color depth.

other key factors that can prevent you from watching the 4K/UHD content is the HDCP 2.2 HDMI port. 4K content requires HDCP 2.2 or 2.3 HDMI port to watch 2K content. Not to mention the high speed cable. Most TVs AVRs made in USA or made for USA standard are HDCP 2.2 compliant since 4K media equipments started surfacing. My DENON AVR-X5200 was made in Japan and doesn’t have the HDCP 2.2 HDMI port. I had to buy the USA version for the compatibility reason.

HDCP is for high definition content protection. It’s a tricky business, what I call it.

New 2021 Apple TV 4K not playing Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.