Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange Random noises coming out of Logic X

Hi Guys, I am having a weird issue with Logic X and I'm stumped... any ideas as to whether this is a Logic issue or a iMac one...Firstly I am running Logic X 10.6.2 and a late 2012 iMac with 10.15.7.

The issue I have having is between my Novation Launchkey 49 and Logic, it had been working just fine and then when I went to use the Novation one day, after electing software instrument and loading  brass patch, the track record button lit up and I started getting what I could only describe as helicopter noises, that sound you hear in the movies when a helicopter approaches, and I clicked off the record button and the sound just kept up. 

I tried a different patch I think it was drums and got what sound like just 8th notes of sorta drum noise, that eventually faded out.

Audio MIDI setup shows it's there.

I just tried using the drum kit designer patch and can get sounds on the kit by using the mouse on the drums and using my Roland Octapad...

I somehow don't think Logic is getting a signal as in the MIDI activity display in custom mode, it just bounces between the same note, top and bottom of the display ( 1C-2 127 )

Quit Logic, restarted everything, same result.

Changed both USB cables and USB slots, same result.

Took the keyboard and trued it on my iMac running 10.6 and Logic 9, worked fine.. plugged in my old

M-Audio keyboard, worked fine.....

Went into Prefs to nuke > com.apple,logic10.plist < nothing there.. and no > com.apple.logic.pro <

I use a Roland Octapad as well, so tired that on USB ports and cables, works fine..

Oh, yeah, the pads on the Novation work, as does the pitch wheel, but nothing from any of the actual keys..

Just now, I opened a new session, and chose synth strings from the drop down menu, press record, and sounds like a double tracking, take off record mode, just get one track, 

but now press stop and the noise does actually stop…

About ready to nuke Logic and install fresh version…

Any ideas..??

Thanks Steve

Posted on May 22, 2021 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 3:30 AM

Sounds like a control surfaces issue, go to the upper left Logic Pro menu select Control Surfaces...then Setup. See how many devices you have listed as Control Surfaces, delete doubles or extras. Alternately, in that same menu select "Rebuild Defaults".Q uit Logic, Restart Computer and try again. Logic seems to get confused when plugging in various controllers and will often reinstall the same controller twice. Setup also has a menu item where you can deselect Automatic Installation.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 3:30 AM in response to SteveStewart

Sounds like a control surfaces issue, go to the upper left Logic Pro menu select Control Surfaces...then Setup. See how many devices you have listed as Control Surfaces, delete doubles or extras. Alternately, in that same menu select "Rebuild Defaults".Q uit Logic, Restart Computer and try again. Logic seems to get confused when plugging in various controllers and will often reinstall the same controller twice. Setup also has a menu item where you can deselect Automatic Installation.

May 23, 2021 7:16 PM in response to Pancenter

Sir, thank you! It worked...! I realised once I started digging around in there that there were extra instruments, and my iPhone in there with orange exclamation marks next to them so just deleted the lot, restarted Logic, opened a project and made a new track, whilst having the set up window opened, then played some keys, then hey presto, I got noises, good noises, seems to work fine now, I did notice that my Novation keyboard is not listed in the set up window but defaults to recording icon...

But so far so good...! Thank you again, I was at a critical point in a client's work...!

Strange Random noises coming out of Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.