Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet connecting missing when connected to a HDMI monitor & updated to BigSur 11.3.1

Hi,

I recently bought a new monitor to extend my macbook screen via a HDMI cable. I used an adapter to connect HDMI cable to my mac and it worked fine for a few days. However, now the internet connection is not working at all. I tried to find similar issues in this forum, it says that it might be due to the poor adapter. Then I unplug the adapter that connects to the monitor, internet in my mac works perfectly fine.

So in trying to fix that, I bought a HDMI to type C cable instead. But it's still not working. So I am stuck.

I also just realised that the issue happened after I updated my OS to BigSur 11.3.1 as previously it was working fine with the adapter. what should I do to maintain good internet connection while connected to my monitor?

As an additional info, after updating to BigSur 11.3.1, I found relocated items.nosync file in my home screen. I dont know if that's impacting my previous configuration which caused this issue. Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 22, 2021 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 8:36 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your response. after did some more digging, I found out that USB dongle and Bluetooth connection can interfere wifi connection as they are using same frequency. So the problem is not with 2nd monitor or HDMI cable.

2 simple things that solve my problem:

1. in the router website, I changed the wifi channel from automatic to 1 (we can choose from 1-13), it can be found in wireless settings
  2. put aluminum foil in the usb dongle (usb c extension) to avoid frequency cash from USB 3.0 (see the youtube video reference)

Now I have my full wifi connection back.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 8:36 PM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your response. after did some more digging, I found out that USB dongle and Bluetooth connection can interfere wifi connection as they are using same frequency. So the problem is not with 2nd monitor or HDMI cable.

2 simple things that solve my problem:

1. in the router website, I changed the wifi channel from automatic to 1 (we can choose from 1-13), it can be found in wireless settings
  2. put aluminum foil in the usb dongle (usb c extension) to avoid frequency cash from USB 3.0 (see the youtube video reference)

Now I have my full wifi connection back.

May 22, 2021 6:11 PM in response to bayu_99

Hello bayu_99,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your internet connection on your Mac.

Start with checking your connection with the built-in tool Wireless Diagnostics: Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

You can also check the troubleshooting here: If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

You can also try creating a new network location and testing. Go to System Preferences > Network > Location top center > Edit Locations. Create a new location using the + symbol. This article should help: Use network locations on Mac - Apple Support

To clarify, this is with your wireless connection, right? Can you test with an ethernet connection? Let us know if you need more help. Cheers.

Internet connecting missing when connected to a HDMI monitor & updated to BigSur 11.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.