Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Calendar Malicious Attack

Does anyone know how to deal with the most recent iteration of this thing? Everyone is saying "settings/accounts and passwords (for older versions of iOS, I guess)/etc...to remove the subscription, apparently that worked for some people in the past but it is nowhere near that easy, the thing has evolved (I have no such subscription and cannot even remove what calendars I do have). It is also slowing down my device in a big way. I even deleted the Calendar app, I keep getting the pop ups (now with audio); I tried a installing a third party calendar app, that clean your iphone messages keeps showing up a million times per day as a calendar event. I guess soon I will restore the device to factory settings (or figure out the best way to wipe the chip clean), before I do I'm hoping somebody has figured it out (or will soon, at least).

I have iOS 14.5.1 (updated since this started happening, yesterday).

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on May 22, 2021 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 5:42 AM

If running iOS 14, check: Settings - Calendar - Accounts - Subscribed Any rogue entries here? If so, delete the rogue account. 

The Apple support article is below. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211076

Similar questions

12 replies

May 22, 2021 5:01 AM in response to gearjamminsob

I don't understand how you can get calendar events if the Calendar app is not even installed.

Nuke Option

Whatever it is, if you are prepared to move your photos and images and important documents to another device for safekeeping you can then reset the phone to factory settings, set it up as new and not restore from backup. I

Install all your apps from scratch.

Change your AppleID password.

Set up your email accounts but choose a new Calendar location like iCloud and start again. You can copy genuine calendar events and import them (Google it)

That will remove all and any malware. Anything else will be coming in from your email accounts.

Back up first in case you do want to restore

Backup and restore

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Unlock your SIM PIN if it has one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Only if you really must...

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

May 22, 2021 5:40 AM in response to LD150

Yea, that's what I been thinking about (and avoiding, lol), thanks for the step-by-step link. As for how, who knows, it's a virus and is programmed to do some funky things. With no calendar app it is just the pop up, with either calendar app (Apple's or a the third party one I have now) it is still a pop but also a Calendar event. I'll give it a little more time for someone to figure it out but I might just have to start over from scratch, I guess.

May 22, 2021 5:56 AM in response to stedman1

Thanks for taking the time to try to help but that was the first thing I tried, it if was that easy I would have had it fixed inside of five minutes. I have no unrecognized calendars and I cannot even delete the ones that are there (no idea if that would help - I suppose it could have attached itself to an existing calendar). This thing has mutated and gotten a lot smarter since it first surfaced, I'm sure someone will figure it out, just don't know how long I will be able to put up with this.

May 22, 2021 6:11 AM in response to LD150

Yes, that is exactly what is going on (I use the term "virus" loosely describe any sort of malicious software that found its way into your system). Yes, they are trying to get you to click on then purchase "security" software, I download things as I need to, I guess it was attached to something. All that I care about now is how to stop it from hijacking my Calendar, lol.

Jun 19, 2021 3:35 PM in response to biohacker

If you have the same problem I did, and I guess that is very probable, you don't have to do a factory reset. I can't remember exactly how we figured it out, it wasn't as simple as deleting on specific calendar (I see I no longer have an Outlook calendar), but it was a senior tech at Apple who figured it out. I was on the phone with the guy for an hour or two, it couldn't have been as simple as deleting a calendar from the list, but there is a way to eradicate this thing without the pain of a factory reset. I wish I could remember exactly what he had me do - good luck.

Jun 20, 2021 12:58 AM in response to gearjamminsob

Assuming you exhausted the official answer recommended by Apple above, if a bad company has found a way to send invitations to your “real” calendar account such as your third party email account (Google, Yahoo!) then you need to get help from the third party account provider.

No amount of factory resets or removing apps can stop an attack on your real calendar account. It will occur across multiple devices in that case.

Prevention is NEVER say yes to any offer to send you “notifications” in any website or app unless you trust them.

iPhone Calendar Malicious Attack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.