Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Massive audio bug with tvOS 14.5 and Apple TV 4k: loud plops!

All over sudden, I get constant tone-bursts (like loud clicks/plops) 2-3 times per second.

Imho, the bug I am experiencing seems to be related to tvOS 14.5, since I had the ATV 4K running without any problems until now: Nothing has changed with my fully HDR 4K compliant hardware (Marantz AV7705, Panasonic FZW954). I always had the ATV 4K (the "old" 2017 model) running at 4k HDR 50Hz 4:2:2 (framerate, HDR and Atmos "automatic switching" active) without problems.

Now, I have to set the ATV 4K to 1080p HDR 50Hz to get rid of these tone bursts.

The bug appears, when:

• ATV is set to ANY 4K setting (no changes by enabling/disabling any of the "automatic" settings)
  • ATV is switched on and displaying the main screen or navigating settings
  • ATV is switching to screensaver video
  • I navigate within apps like Amazon, Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+
  • even when ATV is in standby (!!!!) yes - in standby! I have to disconnect it from mains to stop this!
  • Also, disabling any CEC setting does not help

The bug stops, when I start a movie from my streaming provider's app and the ATV switches to the framerate of the movie (mostly 24fps, but also 50fps). The bursts reappear, when in a series, one episode ends and the next is about to start - in the interval between the episodes, the moment the screen "goes black" (in other words, imho when no sync from the episode's frame rate is available).

I have done a factory reset to ALL of my components, no changes, the bug persists.

So, currently there is no way for me to run my ATV 4K with ANY 4K setting without getting this audio bug.

My fear is, that with the introduction of tvOS 14.5, something between the ATV 4K and my AV-Preamp is going majorly wrong and I won't be able to correct this in any way.

Anyone an explanation or a solution, please?

Posted on May 22, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 9:15 AM

Just an update to this thread, to inform everybody, who might come across this post, how I have been able to solve it.

First of all, I contacted the amazingly helpful Apple support, which got back to me One to One by telephone, so I could fully and technically elaborate on the issue.

I finally was able to sort out a HDMI active extender cable as the culprit.

My 4K TV is on Marantz’s main HDMI output, my JVC D-ILA projector on HDMI output #2.

Since the JVC only supports 1080p, output #2 in Marantz’s settings is not activated, I do TOGGLE between output 1&2 as needed. Activating both outputs at the same time would have led to a permanent 1080p SDR setting.

So, even with only output #1 being active, still, obviously the active components of the extender cable must have had some “backwards” influence to the Marantz / the ATV 4k and its new firmware.

Once I disconnected the 5V power adaptor from the extender cable and ran it in “passive” mode, all sync issues were gone.

A few additional hints, that I got from Apple and Marantz support in case you might come across problems:

• set your Apple TV 4K to 4k 30 Hz HDR. They said, it’s a good overall setting.
  • Marantz suggests in case of sync issues to use the HDMI inputs closest to the outputs - this minimizes any influences of longer internal signal-paths

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2021 9:15 AM in response to Sharon_419

Just an update to this thread, to inform everybody, who might come across this post, how I have been able to solve it.

First of all, I contacted the amazingly helpful Apple support, which got back to me One to One by telephone, so I could fully and technically elaborate on the issue.

I finally was able to sort out a HDMI active extender cable as the culprit.

My 4K TV is on Marantz’s main HDMI output, my JVC D-ILA projector on HDMI output #2.

Since the JVC only supports 1080p, output #2 in Marantz’s settings is not activated, I do TOGGLE between output 1&2 as needed. Activating both outputs at the same time would have led to a permanent 1080p SDR setting.

So, even with only output #1 being active, still, obviously the active components of the extender cable must have had some “backwards” influence to the Marantz / the ATV 4k and its new firmware.

Once I disconnected the 5V power adaptor from the extender cable and ran it in “passive” mode, all sync issues were gone.

A few additional hints, that I got from Apple and Marantz support in case you might come across problems:

• set your Apple TV 4K to 4k 30 Hz HDR. They said, it’s a good overall setting.
  • Marantz suggests in case of sync issues to use the HDMI inputs closest to the outputs - this minimizes any influences of longer internal signal-paths

May 23, 2021 8:00 AM in response to linnie2011

Hey Linnie2011,

Thanks for posting your question about your audio issues in Apple Support Communities! A great place to start is by checking out the steps in the article: Adjust video and audio settings on Apple TV, as it outlines some steps to follow in order to adjust and calibrate your audio settings. You can also try reseting your Apple TV by following the steps in this article: Reset Apple TV

If these options do not resolve your issue, try removing the AV-preamp to see if the issue improves.

Best wishes.

May 23, 2021 8:44 AM in response to i_rina

i_rina

thanks for trying to help.

I have already done all those steps you suggested. There is currently no way to improve the situation. Getting rid of the AV amp is no solution - it has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years with my ATV, so the problem is not my setup, but the tvOS 14.5 update.

Since these burst happen twice a second, here is my guess, what’s happening:

initially, ATV is set to HDR 50Hz and syncs to the AV preamp/TV

since ATV settings are set to „adjust framerate“, ATV does just that, when I play a movie form f.e. Netflix: it syncs everything to 24fps (which works)

the moment I stop the movie and ATV goes back to its main screen, it syncs back to 50Hz - that’s when the audio bursts start twice per second

now, divide 50Hz by 24? Yes, roughly 2!

My guess: video framerate gets synced back to 50, audio framerate cannot sync and stays at 24 - with the effect of producing these burst. Just an educated guess…

I would have loved to test it by setting the ATV to default to HDR 24Hz, but this previously available option was cut from tvOS 14.5 - so there‘s no way to check my theory, if the frame rate ALWAYS stays at 24fps

I can disable automatic frame rate adjustment, though, and the issue is gone! But since Apple discarded the 24fps HDR default setting, I can only choose HDR 50 or 60 Hz - and I am not willing to watch the mostly 24fps content with a jittering picture…

Massive audio bug with tvOS 14.5 and Apple TV 4k: loud plops!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.