Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LibreOffice and MacBook Pro M1

I am NOT an IT guru or anything close to resembling that; but I want to teach myself how to create and use a decent Database for myself to work and "play" with.

According to the internet (and by their own website advertising) it appears as if LibreOffice does have a decent database.

However, it appears as if this database component (called Base) requires JAVA or something similar.

I know that Java is no longer supported in MacOS, but need some guidance with which website to use to download JAVA or something similar.

Or better still, which Database program (for beginners) to consider downloading, that will be compatible with my MacBook Pro.

Appreciate your feedback

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 22, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 7:21 AM

Psychdoc666 wrote:

I know that Java is no longer supported in MacOS, but need some guidance with which website to use to download JAVA or something similar.

You understand incorrectly. Java is no longer supported and issued by Apple. But Java is not gone. Java is readily available for free download for individual use from its owner, at Java.com. (Do not use any other web site for download, unless you LIKE having malware.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2021 7:21 AM in response to Psychdoc666

Psychdoc666 wrote:

You understand incorrectly. Java is no longer supported and issued by Apple. But Java is not gone. Java is readily available for free download for individual use from its owner, at Java.com. (Do not use any other web site for download, unless you LIKE having malware.)

May 22, 2021 7:31 AM in response to Psychdoc666

Apple-Silicon M1:

Apple says every well-behaved ordinary Aplication (that does not use Virtualization) will run on Apple-Silicon. It will use Rosetta emulation to translate the Intel binary to M1-binary.

Your Apps will run and not crash while being executed on a a completely different processor than the one the developer used. You are a lucky fellow indeed.

If you are using graphics intensive apps, the workflow that the developer intended and optimized has been changed. Different parts may be assigned to graphics processors and main processors, and certain parts that used Native Intel instructions for speed may now be emulated in a subroutine.

But it runs, and you can get your work done, which is what Apple promised and delivered.

LibreOffice and MacBook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.