Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen shots suddenly disappear

Why do screenshots suddenly disappear? For years I've taken screenshots using the built-in Mac app with no problem but suddenly today, May 22, 2021, I find the image files appear on the desktop as usual, but then suddenly disappear after a few seconds. Once or twice I've managed to copy and move them successfully, but now even the copies I make disappear. They're not going to iCloud as far as I can see. I have not changed anything in my setup that I'm aware of and my suspicion must fall on the last Big Sur update.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 22, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 1:46 PM

Thanks again, leroydouglas.

Well, what do you know. I discover today that OneDrive is the culprit in the disappearing screenshots. Today I find a folder in my OneDrive collection in which all the mysteriously vanishing screenshots have been gathered. I have no idea why OneDrive would suddenly start doing this when I've been using it for years. Possibly it's because I recently sold my iMac and my MacBook became home base for my Apple devices. Anway, mystery solved.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 1:46 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks again, leroydouglas.

Well, what do you know. I discover today that OneDrive is the culprit in the disappearing screenshots. Today I find a folder in my OneDrive collection in which all the mysteriously vanishing screenshots have been gathered. I have no idea why OneDrive would suddenly start doing this when I've been using it for years. Possibly it's because I recently sold my iMac and my MacBook became home base for my Apple devices. Anway, mystery solved.

May 22, 2021 10:28 AM in response to jayfull

jayfull wrote:

Why do screenshots suddenly disappear? For years I've taken screenshots using the built-in Mac app with no problem but suddenly today, May 22, 2021, I find the image files appear on the desktop as usual, but then suddenly disappear after a few seconds. Once or twice I've managed to copy and move them successfully, but now even the copies I make disappear. They're not going to iCloud as far as I can see. I have not changed anything in my setup that I'm aware of and my suspicion must fall on the last Big Sur update.

See Options under Shift Command 5

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

Screenshots can commandeered by

dropbox

icloud drive

May 22, 2021 12:13 PM in response to jayfull

jayfull wrote:

Thanks, leroydouglas.
I've tried every option in the app. Screenshots still disappear.
I've had to start using a workaround: I choose the "Save to clipboard" option in the screenshots app, then in Preview, I create a "New from clipboard" file.
This sort of thing is my number one frustration with Apple (whose record with me is otherwise long and mostly excellent). I don't understand why Apple changes things but doesn't communicate to the user what is going on. There is nothing in the official help documentation related to this issue, and from what I can gather in the forums, the disappearing screenshots issue keeps surfacing, over and over through the years.

Have you made changes to Options as a test—

for example turn off floating thumbnail and test.

You can file a bug report or  you can submit your Apple Feedback using this same link: hhttp://www.apple.com/feedback

Verify you uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

Known to cause issues.

To sort anomalies, reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS from Recovery (non-destructive)

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If you want to try a troubleshoot—

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

May 22, 2021 12:01 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, leroydouglas.

I've tried every option in the app. Screenshots still disappear.

I've had to start using a workaround: I choose the "Save to clipboard" option in the screenshots app, then in Preview, I create a "New from clipboard" file.

This sort of thing is my number one frustration with Apple (whose record with me is otherwise long and mostly excellent). I don't understand why Apple changes things but doesn't communicate to the user what is going on. There is nothing in the official help documentation related to this issue, and from what I can gather in the forums, the disappearing screenshots issue keeps surfacing, over and over through the years.

Screen shots suddenly disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.