Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restart and Shutdown freezing desktop

Dear Community,

i need your help in solving an issue im encountering on my mac book pro.

Im having the problem that every time i shutdown or restart my mac book the process is not finalised and the desktop freezes. Logout works just fine

Sysinfo:

What have i done so far to identify the issue:

1. I have removed all login items from my admin user (the one i am using daily):
    1. Problem still exists
  2. Log out and into another user, try to reboot from here:
    1. Problem is the same as with my daily user, shutdown/reboot freezes desktop
  3. Hard reboot and boot into recovery mode, try rebooting from here:
  4. Run etrecheck and check unsigned files under major issue section.
    1. Have removed all not needed Launchd files
    2. Cleaned up all files missing executables
    3. Have kept the ones i need i.e. Microsoft Office etc
      • Problem still exists

How can i track down the root cause here?

Is there a syslog i can review that is usually being written during reboot?

Thanks a lot for your help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 23, 2021 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 3:04 AM

Firstly - good work on attempting to isolate and troubleshoot the issue +1 to you.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Using this method to eliminate all Third Party process, extensions and fonts from loading and thusly having a better idea if the issue is system-wide or user Account issue. The Safe Boot will Do A Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software etc. So the process will be slower than normal. Once in - run in this mode for say 10 - 15 minutes. Note: the computer will look and perform differently that too is normal.

Then attempt the Normal shutdown and what happens ?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 3:04 AM in response to Legast

Firstly - good work on attempting to isolate and troubleshoot the issue +1 to you.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Using this method to eliminate all Third Party process, extensions and fonts from loading and thusly having a better idea if the issue is system-wide or user Account issue. The Safe Boot will Do A Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software etc. So the process will be slower than normal. Once in - run in this mode for say 10 - 15 minutes. Note: the computer will look and perform differently that too is normal.

Then attempt the Normal shutdown and what happens ?

Restart and Shutdown freezing desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.