Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung Portable SSD T7 Touch software does not start on macOS Big Sur

Hi everyone,

I just bought the Samsung Portable SSD T7 Touch for my Intel MacBook Air (2020).

My problem is that the Samsung software does not start. I am using macOS Big Sur (Version 11.3.1) and the "Portable SSD Software 1.0 for Mac (The macOS Big Sur user's only)" (version 1.73).

I downloaded and installed the Software as described by Samsung and clicked the "Allow" button next to the message “System software from developer "Samsung Electronics" was blocked from loading”.

But when I click on the app, another icon pops up next to it, shakes for a second and then nothing else happens.

Can someone please help me?

Posted on May 23, 2021 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 6:30 AM

Never use any software provided by a 3rd party hardware device if you can possibly avoid it. Such software is always buggy and poorly supported. If anything, you are lucky because you seem to have discovered this before you stored any data on the device and then lost it after some minor operating system update.

Make sure to uninstall the Samsung software. The only way to remove these files is an official uninstaller or uninstallation instructions provided directly by Samsung. Never use an “app zapper” or “clean up” tool to uninstall software. Never try to manually delete files in these hidden directories by hand.

Then, you should be able to setup the drive as a normal external hard drive. I think the T7 has some kind of fingerprint security. That won't work with the software. But as I said above, you learned this lesson without having to pay dearly for it later.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 6:30 AM in response to jpk_94

Never use any software provided by a 3rd party hardware device if you can possibly avoid it. Such software is always buggy and poorly supported. If anything, you are lucky because you seem to have discovered this before you stored any data on the device and then lost it after some minor operating system update.

Make sure to uninstall the Samsung software. The only way to remove these files is an official uninstaller or uninstallation instructions provided directly by Samsung. Never use an “app zapper” or “clean up” tool to uninstall software. Never try to manually delete files in these hidden directories by hand.

Then, you should be able to setup the drive as a normal external hard drive. I think the T7 has some kind of fingerprint security. That won't work with the software. But as I said above, you learned this lesson without having to pay dearly for it later.

May 23, 2021 8:35 AM in response to jpk_94

jpk_94 wrote:

The thing is that the version with the fingerprint sensor is more expensive than the normal T7 and without this feature the SSD is not worth the money in my opinion.

I have a T7 and it is very nice. However, I didn't go for the fingerprint as it would have been a waste of money.

Do you have any idea how to solve the problem described above?

No, sorry. I don't recommend using that feature at all as you risk losing your data if there is ever a future incompatibility between the Samsung software and the operating system. The probability of that occurring is quite high, not even taking into account the fact that it doesn't seem to work now.

May 23, 2021 12:44 PM in response to jpk_94

In addition to the good information from Etresoft, I can add that I am using two T7 external SSDs with multiple Macs. However I also avoided the version with the fingerprint sensor, mainly because that fingerprint sensor requires the user to install and keep up-to-date a Samsung software package and also firmware that embeds itself into the external drive, in order to enable the fingerprint sensor. These software and firmware packages, if you look online, including in the Apple Discussions, have been implicated by many Mac users who have encountered problems using the T7s with their Macs. It's unfortunate because the T7 is a very fast SSD, but as Etresoft indicates, my experience has been these drives work best as vanilla external drives, erased and formatted for a Mac before first use, and without external firmware or software, or if it came with such items installed, with them first removed. Apple releases Security Updates and operating system updates throughout the year, as well as a new operating every year. Unless you diligently update that software and firmware at every step, assuming that the manufacturer has also kept up as well, you can find yourself with an external drive that won't mount. Because I use these drives for backup, which I consider an essential function, I stay away from those complications.

You can still use the T7 without the fingerprint sensor enabled. There is a price premium for that feature, but I would accept this as a lesson learned and move on without it. The T7 is a great drive and very fast.

May 24, 2021 8:51 AM in response to etresoft

In the meantime I agree that it might be better to use the SSD without the third party software from Samsung. I formatted it and from now on it will use it as a normal SSD. I looked up the prices for the version without the sensor and it seems that I bought it for a very low price, so I accept the lesson learned.

Thanks etresoft and steve626 for the advice! To be honest I didn't expect to receive such detailed answers.

Samsung Portable SSD T7 Touch software does not start on macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.