Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air (early 2015) randomly shutting down and restarting after Big Sur Update (current version 11.3.1)

My laptop has started giving me certain issues after doing a recent update. It randomly shuts down either when I'm using Safari, in a zoom meeting or even when not using it actively. This happens multiple times a day and has basically made it impossible for me to use my laptop for anything productive. Additionally, the icons on the desktop randomly disappear and the computer stops responding. Several reports have been sent by the system to Apple.

I have uninstalled the antivirus programs based on the Etrecheck report.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 23, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 10:16 AM

Immediately - CleanMyMac. Major issue and remove right away as per Developers Instruction. This software is dangerous, causes havoc, may even remove important components of the OS and even corrupt to OS requiring a reinstallation.

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin - not needed at all

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin - not needed at all

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DirectorShockwave.plugin - not needed at all

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/nke

[Not Loaded] avkern2.kext - com.fortinet.fct.kext.avkern2 (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] fctapnke.kext - com.fortinet.fct.kext.fctapnke (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] ipseckern.kext - com.fortinet.fct.kext.ipsec (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] fctrouternke.kext - com.fortinet.kext.fctrouternke (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

Library/Application Support/Samsung/Samsung DeX/Samsung USB Driver/ssud_installation - not needed OS can handled without this buggy software is used as HFS external drive

There is more but these are the tings that Jump to me

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 10:16 AM in response to gjk20

Immediately - CleanMyMac. Major issue and remove right away as per Developers Instruction. This software is dangerous, causes havoc, may even remove important components of the OS and even corrupt to OS requiring a reinstallation.

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin - not needed at all

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin - not needed at all

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DirectorShockwave.plugin - not needed at all

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/nke

[Not Loaded] avkern2.kext - com.fortinet.fct.kext.avkern2 (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] fctapnke.kext - com.fortinet.fct.kext.fctapnke (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] ipseckern.kext - com.fortinet.fct.kext.ipsec (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

[Not Loaded] fctrouternke.kext - com.fortinet.kext.fctrouternke (1.0 - SDK 10.14)

Library/Application Support/Samsung/Samsung DeX/Samsung USB Driver/ssud_installation - not needed OS can handled without this buggy software is used as HFS external drive

There is more but these are the tings that Jump to me

May 23, 2021 1:13 PM in response to gjk20

Do the following:  

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - download and run the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For CleanMyMac software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac
2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

#3 - reboot normally.

May 23, 2021 10:41 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you Phillips ! I have uninstalled/deleted the recommended kernel extensions, the Samsung Dex USB driver and the plugins.

I'm having a hard time finding the Clean my Mac on my computer. Although it's showing up in the report, I don't see it in my applications. Any suggestions on how to find it in my computer (or any remnants of it)?

May 23, 2021 10:51 AM in response to gjk20

I kind of think the VPN for schools connection is questionable at best and agree with @ Old Tony ;-) ). on the usages for Work mandated or Banking- the rest are misguided representation of False Security and Privacy on the Internet

As for CleanMyMac - the developers site for uninstall instructions or uninstaller they offer

May 23, 2021 11:34 AM in response to gjk20

Your system is crashing left, right and center. This is a serious concern. Besides the possibility that your SSD is failing, there is some bad stuff that you installed - of course, "cleanmymac" has to go, but even that may not be enough. Who knows what damage it has already inflicted.

gjk20 wrote:

Thanks for replying. The VPN is actually a requirement by my school that I need to access certain websites, otherwise I would have uninstalled it as well.

Gross misunderstanding here.

Your school may require you to connect via VPN, but NOT to install a third party VPN "solution" - unless whoever runs IT in your school is a complete moron.

If the school requires you to run a VPN connection, use the built-in VPN tools. They are safe and secure.

MacBook Air (early 2015) randomly shutting down and restarting after Big Sur Update (current version 11.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.