You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lossless via AirPlay 2

When I connect via AirPlay 2 (through Wi-Fi) to, say, KEF LSX speakers, will that audio be lossless? Since those speakers and Wi-Fi are definitely sufficient to support lossless audio, I really want to listen to that.

iPhone 11

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 10:40 AM

Hey there, RondeGoey!

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, you're looking for more information regarding lossless audio. We'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction!

Lossless audio isn't available just yet, but the info and link below will help.

We recommend looking over the section "How to listen to lossless on your iPhone or iPad" to learn what you need to use this feature and how to get it set up:

About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support

Take care!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2021 10:40 AM in response to RondeGoey

Hey there, RondeGoey!

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, you're looking for more information regarding lossless audio. We'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction!

Lossless audio isn't available just yet, but the info and link below will help.

We recommend looking over the section "How to listen to lossless on your iPhone or iPad" to learn what you need to use this feature and how to get it set up:

About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support

Take care!

May 27, 2021 4:00 AM in response to hc1111

Hey! Of course I already visited that page before asking my question, but I can't seem to find the right answer. AirPlay speakers of course have their own DAC (which, IF connected with a wire, is needed for lossless audio to be played as stated on the page you referred me to). The question I'm having is: would the speakers play lossless audio when connected wirelessly to the speakers via WiFi? The bandwidth Bluetooth has to offer obviously isn't enough, but that of WiFi is, otherwise the whole lossless story would be nonsense (the iPhone itself is connected with WiFi to receive the lossless information after all). Can this question already be answered or do I have to wait until the lossless audio becomes a reality?

May 27, 2021 8:01 AM in response to RondeGoey

Hi, I’ve posted same question days ago, but seems that AirPlay is not mentioned in Apple music support page as a way to stream lossless audio. For me I think that AirPlay with logic must be down sample to 16/44, not 24/192. It must be better than Bluetooth, we have to wait lossless audio and try with our ears.

Jun 13, 2021 10:00 PM in response to MASI74

According to the english and german Wikipedia entry, AirPlay transcodes audio streams using ALAC at 44.1/16 on 2ch, aka CD quality, with a overall maximum transfer rate of 120 MBit/s.

I bet AirPlay will receive a major update anytime soon to impliment all the new losless features. And I'm curious which older devices won't get it. I have a feeling that my humble Apple TV 3 will then finally become obsolecent for good.

Lossless via AirPlay 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.