Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur recovery mode not working

Hi!

TLDR; cannot format or open recovery mode on Big Sur

For the background: I updated to Big Sur, but noticed that one key software is working significantly slower than before, so I need to go back to Catalina, hence I need to start recovery mode.

But the problem is, that my Mac won't start the recovery mode, only internet recovery mode, where I could not make any erasing or installing macOS. I've tried to hold Cmd+R, Shift+Cmd+R, Opt+Cmd+R. Does anyone have a solution for the problem?

EDIT: I have MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS 11.3.1

Thanks,

Ilkka

Posted on May 23, 2021 3:12 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 23, 2021 4:12 PM in response to ilkka130

command-R is recovery for the existing operating system.

command-shift-option-R is the recovery for the operating system that shipped with the Mac.

For a 2014 model that would be a system that is not compatible with the auto-formatting of SSDs as APFS that happens with HIgh Sierra.

Make sure your data is backed up before attempting any recovery.

Not sure if this will help you now, but it there is this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211242

May 24, 2021 12:44 AM in response to a brody

Thank you Brody for your answer!

Unfortunately that doesn't help me. Basically any combination of {cmd-shift-option-control}+R leads to Internet Recovery Mode. In the Internet Recovery Mode I'm unable to do anything, not sure if it's because it works on Maverick or something else (installing macOS from the disk won't show me any disk etc.).

I've formatted my MacbookPro couple times succesfully before, but now I'm stuck.

Big Sur recovery mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.