Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k

So I have the newest sony oled tv a90j hooked up to my sonos arc surround sound via earc hdmi 2.1. When I play any streaming app Hulu,Netflix,ESPN,YouTube and Disney plus from the google tv that comes with the tv already I get Dolby digital 2.0 or Dolby digital plus 5.0 or Dolby atmos which is great. Now I bought the newest Apple TV 4K and when I play any other app other than Netflix (I get Dolby vision 5.0 if set to Dolby vision or Dolby atmos if set to atmos only on Netflix)all I get is stereo pcm no matter what setting I put on the Apple TV in. Tried Dolby atmos setting on Apple TV or Dolby digital setting on Apple TV and nothing all I get is stereo pcm no matter what app I play Even Apple Music on the Apple TV all I get is stereo pcm. Any ideas as to why or how I can fix it? Or is Apple newest 4K Apple TV can’t pass any Dolby content unless the app actually has it like Netflix for example.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on May 23, 2021 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 10:21 AM

If you can see Video and Audio﹥Audio Format﹥Immersive Audio, then Dolby Atmos is available for sources that have Dolby Atmos. That option would be hidden if the capability wasn’t detected.

Apple TV outputs Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT format, which is like PCM, not like DD+. Any indicator on your equipment may show “PCM”. That doesn’t mean Stereo. It means PCM Multichannel, optionally with Atmos extensions (when available).

Not all content offers Atmos. Check for the Atmos symbol on the Details page for a title.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 10:21 AM in response to Chris252583

If you can see Video and Audio﹥Audio Format﹥Immersive Audio, then Dolby Atmos is available for sources that have Dolby Atmos. That option would be hidden if the capability wasn’t detected.

Apple TV outputs Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT format, which is like PCM, not like DD+. Any indicator on your equipment may show “PCM”. That doesn’t mean Stereo. It means PCM Multichannel, optionally with Atmos extensions (when available).

Not all content offers Atmos. Check for the Atmos symbol on the Details page for a title.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.