Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet "Cable Unplugged" 2017 5k iMac

Noticed internet connected to wifi some time back and when I checked network status it showed cable unplugged. I checked and the cable was plugged in, so I tried several other cables. I tried other ports on the router. I do not know when it stopped functioning but it very well may have been after an update and I have read this was an issue recently. I am currently on 11.3.1 Big Sur. 5k 2017 iMac with 3.8 i5.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 23, 2021 6:27 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 24, 2021 9:22 AM in response to Unquality

Thanks for the screen shot, going forward please block out Personal Information such as network names, you can use the Preview tool to make those edits.

Please try these steps:

• Unplug Modem for about 1 minute and restart
  • Wait for Modem to fully reboot and then unplug Router for about 1 minute and restart
  • Wait for the router to fully reboot and then restart iMac in Safe Mode per Safe Mode Reset instructions
  • Restart Normally and re-check.

May 28, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Unquality

Try the following:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If the above fails try help boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

May 24, 2021 10:06 AM in response to Unquality

Okay, please try turning off Wi-fi and see if you continue to have an Internet connection. If you do not, then that points to an Ethernet connection issue, which means likely a problem with the cable itself being used. I would also recommend moving the Ethernet connection order further up. Apple explains this in:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-order-network-ports-mac-mchlp2711/mac

May 24, 2021 10:47 AM in response to rkaufmann87

When I turn off WiFi I do not have an internet connection. I am having an Ethernet issue as I explained in the OP. It is not a cable issue as I described in a previous post, that same cable supplies Ethernet to both my MacBook and Dell without issue when tested. Ethernet is already moved up to the top of the connection order, but will not appear above an available connection.

May 27, 2021 6:25 PM in response to Unquality

No replies in 3 days? It's not a software issue, it's a hardware issue (maybe something in bios? or firmware?) Because when set up with boot camp and Windows 10 ethernet is not detected either. However if I unplug my ethernet cable from my Imac, and plug it directly into my macbook, it works fine.

On wireless i only get about 25mbit up / 20 mbit down. on wired my connection is nearly 700 mbit. i would like to resolve this without an external ethernet adapter if possible.

May 28, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Unquality

The only other thing I can think of is to delete the ethernet connection in the Network preference panel and then recreate it. If that doesn’t work then I think the ethernet port on your iMac is dead.

As for ‘no replies in 3 days’ you need to know these forums are user-to-user, not official Apple support. Apple is not here. We are not Apple employees, just users like yourself volunteering to try and help other users. As such we are under no obligation to respond to any post.

Ethernet "Cable Unplugged" 2017 5k iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.