Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" Storage 39GB, how to know what can/cannot be deleted

Hi,

I've noticed that nearly 39GB of storage is being taken up with "Other" and I briefly read this could be Cached files, and mainly bits that you no longer need, but it did mention there are some items in here you may not want to delete. Not being 100% technical on files that are required to keep the Macbook running as it should, does anyone know what files that may be found in here "should NOT be deleted" so I can delete all the others?

Please let me know if this can be explained further, many thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 24, 2021 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 6:16 AM

See used and available storage space on your Mac [was: What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?] - https://support.apple.com/HT202867

"Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 6:16 AM in response to Ian Thompson4

See used and available storage space on your Mac [was: What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?] - https://support.apple.com/HT202867

"Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac."

"Other" Storage 39GB, how to know what can/cannot be deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.