Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Upload Unusably Slow

I decided to start using iCloud Drive in hopes of retiring my use of Dropbox. I dragged a folder that is 100G from my iMac HD onto my iCloud Drive. That was well over 24 hour ago and the upload is at less that 1% complete. At this point, it would take well over 100 days for this folder to be available in iCloud.

I tested the same folder this morning with Dropbox and it took about an hour to upload the entire thing. My ISP upload rate is averaging around 100MB per second using speedtest.net.

Is there a "first aid" for iCloud option that may resolve this? Or does iCloud always perform at a mid-80s dial up modem connection rate?

FYI, I'm on Big Sur and a 2017 iMac

Posted on May 24, 2021 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 4:54 PM

FYI for anyone that comes across this and has the same issue...

I called Apple a couple of times and basically they said "it is what it is" without asking many discovery questions. One Sr. Tech said I could email them, but they never responded. So I experimented on my own and found a fix...

I went into System Preferences > Apple ID and unchecked iCloud Drive

I used Disk Utility > First Aid on the HD

I restarted

I restarted again in Recovery Mode and installed Big Sur

I restarted

I ran Disk Utility > First Aid on HD

I restarted

I went into System Preferences > Apple ID and checked iCloud Drive

I waited for the computer to think for a few minutes

iCloud Drive is working like a modern-day cloud storage solution now. Just as fast as DropBox. No thanks to Apple support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 4:54 PM in response to william102

FYI for anyone that comes across this and has the same issue...

I called Apple a couple of times and basically they said "it is what it is" without asking many discovery questions. One Sr. Tech said I could email them, but they never responded. So I experimented on my own and found a fix...

I went into System Preferences > Apple ID and unchecked iCloud Drive

I used Disk Utility > First Aid on the HD

I restarted

I restarted again in Recovery Mode and installed Big Sur

I restarted

I ran Disk Utility > First Aid on HD

I restarted

I went into System Preferences > Apple ID and checked iCloud Drive

I waited for the computer to think for a few minutes

iCloud Drive is working like a modern-day cloud storage solution now. Just as fast as DropBox. No thanks to Apple support.

iCloud Drive Upload Unusably Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.