Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I plug the apple tv into my Yamaha ats 1080 sound bar directly?

Can I plug the apple tv into my Yamaha ats 1080 sound bar directly? The optical port on my TV is broken so am wondering if I can use the HDMI connection on my Apple TV to connect directly into the sound bar. Of course then the question is how I would connect the TV to Apple TV box? Any help is appreciated

Posted on May 24, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 11:08 AM

The Yamaha sound bar seems to have a 4K HDMI passthrough. So you should be able to plug the Apple TV directly to the Yamaha's input HDMI port and then plug the TV to the Passthrough port on the Yamaha.

Consult the Yamaha's user guide to set it up accordingly.

4 replies

May 25, 2021 11:02 AM in response to 144MGROAD

Hello there 144MGROAD,

We understand you're trying to direct the audio from your Apple TV directly to your sound bar since the audio port on your TV is not working. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

To get started, unless your sound bar supports Bluetooth or uses a different kind of wireless connection, there wouldn't be another supported way to transfer the audio directly. You'll either need to use a different audio output on your TV, repair the existing port, or use a Bluetooth compatible sound bar or other supported wireless speaker instead.

Use AirPlay to stream audio

This assumes you're using a model of Apple TV that doesn't have built-in optical audio. Some users have tried using external audio DAC audio converters or other inline adapters, however these are not guaranteed to work with the digital connection the Apple TV uses over HDMI to communicate with your TV.

Set up Apple TV

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

May 25, 2021 11:47 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks much Phil0124. This solved my problem. PLugged the HDMI cable from Apple TV directly to the sound bar HDMI input and plugged the TV to the soundbar using the HDMI out and it worked beautifully. For those who might be curious, this soundbar HDMI out is also ARC which initially confused me (if my TV had ARC I could have done the ARC to ARC connection).

Thanks for the suggestion. I can now return the analog to digital converter that I had bought.

The sound also seems better which is a nice bonus :-)

Much appreciated!

can I plug the apple tv into my Yamaha ats 1080 sound bar directly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.