Related Article: Printer and scanner drivers for Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iMac 24, old Canon Pixma MP560 - are they incompatible?

I bought a new iMac 24, and I have an old Canon Pixma MP560 - are they incompatible?

Posted on May 24, 2021 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 4:54 PM

A quick search of the Canon site shows the last macOS version that printer supported was 10.11 El Capitan, replaced in 2016, and the last update for the MP560 drivers was almost four yeas ago. When I put in macOS Big Sur I get this:

Cannon support page for the MP560is here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp560/pixma-mp560?tab=drivers_downloads

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 4:54 PM in response to PetePitt

A quick search of the Canon site shows the last macOS version that printer supported was 10.11 El Capitan, replaced in 2016, and the last update for the MP560 drivers was almost four yeas ago. When I put in macOS Big Sur I get this:

Cannon support page for the MP560is here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp560/pixma-mp560?tab=drivers_downloads

May 24, 2021 1:52 PM in response to PetePitt

You will have to check with Canon to see if that device support Mac OS Big Sur. It is up to the printer manufacturers to develp printer drivers for their devices, Apple does not do that for them. Also, as there is zero context to your message that has anything about what you have done so far it's kind of difficult for us to help you. For example:

• Did you migrate from another Mac
  • Did you install any Canon Software?
  • What troubleshooting you have done.

May 24, 2021 11:12 PM in response to PetePitt

Thanks for pointing out the lack of context to my question — as a tech idiot, I didn’t realize I had more useful info that would clarify my question. I usually understand just enough to screw things up. This is my first foray into the informed and helpful Apple community. So...My new iMac has content that I moved from a late 2009 iMac that was connected to the Canon printer by cable — even though I think the printer had wireless capability. I looked at the Canon website and concluded that it had quit supporting this model, MP 560, with drivers, but there was a reference that Apple may have built something into the iMac that would work. I couldn’t figure that out though. I did NOT read that a wired solution would work as it does, but I had hoped for a wireless option.

new iMac 24, old Canon Pixma MP560 - are they incompatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.