Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvOS 14.6 broke AirPlay audio from MacBook Pro

Updated Apple TV to tvOS 14.6 earlier today and now it seems I can’t AirPlay audio from my MacBook Pro to it. Tried several times and no audio comes out. Tried it from my iPhone 11 and it works fine. Restarted Apple TV & no go either.

Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on May 24, 2021 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 4:10 AM

[I can’t AirPlay] the audio part of a video.

Tried AirPlaying a video to the Apple TV, worked fine.
Tried mirroring the MacBook's display with audio playing, also worked fine.
Only issue seems to be trying to AirPlay just audio from MacBook to Apple TV.

So the issue has changed now?

Verify that the application that sends the stream hasn’t been muted or has its volume turned to 0. Media player applications, like the Music app, may have their own volume controls, maximized to the computer’s overall volume setting.

If you instead use System Preferences﹥Sound﹥Output﹥Apple TV (AirPlay), then it uses the sound controls of the player app (if available), again maximized to the computer’s overall volume setting.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 4:10 AM in response to SRASC

[I can’t AirPlay] the audio part of a video.

So the issue has changed now?

Verify that the application that sends the stream hasn’t been muted or has its volume turned to 0. Media player applications, like the Music app, may have their own volume controls, maximized to the computer’s overall volume setting.

If you instead use System Preferences﹥Sound﹥Output﹥Apple TV (AirPlay), then it uses the sound controls of the player app (if available), again maximized to the computer’s overall volume setting.

May 25, 2021 10:37 AM in response to SRASC

Were you trying to stream audio-only content (e.g. music), or is the issue about the audio part of a video?

What kind of content (from where, online?) were you trying to AirPlay, in case that is a factor?

Where you trying to AirPlay Screen Mirror, or doing in-app ‘basic’ AirPlay from the TV app, or iTunes, or QuickTime Player, or Safari?

Do you know what type of audio the source file has? Format, channels?

Does it happen for other files/content as well?

I can’t replicate your issue (seems to work fine here), but maybe additional information is needed.

May 25, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Were you trying to stream audio-only content (e.g. music), or is the issue about the audio part of a video?

The audio part of a video.

What kind of content (from where, online?) were you trying to AirPlay, in case that is a factor?

An online stream. I have done it with this stream for several weeks now except for last night.

Where you trying to AirPlay Screen Mirror, or doing in-app ‘basic’ AirPlay from the TV app, or iTunes, or QuickTime Player, or Safari?

Safari

Do you know what type of audio the source file has? Format, channels?

Not sure, but on a guess stereo.

Does it happen for other files/content as well?

Haven’t tried any other files as yet but I don’t see why it would only affect that one thing in this case.

I can’t replicate your issue (seems to work fine here), but maybe additional information is needed.

May 25, 2021 11:54 AM in response to SRASC

Just tried restarting the MacBook, still nothing.

Last time I got it to work fine was Friday night. Between then & now tvOS 14.6 came out. I installed it on Monday afternoon & discovered this issue on Monday night.

tvOS 14.6 broke AirPlay audio from MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.