Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download podcasts as MP 3

How do I download podcasts as MP3s so I can watch them on a separate MP3 player?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 24, 2021 5:31 PM

32 replies

May 25, 2021 3:51 AM in response to timuse0

I can't answer for Big Sur but I would expect it to much the same as Catalina. Subscribe to the podcast. Mouse over an episode, clcoik on the plus sing to thue right, then when it changes to a cloud with an arrow click that. When the file has downloaded and the progress icon has disappeared click the three dots icon at extreme right and choose 'Save episode'. The episode will be given a grey background: click anywhere in that and drag to the Desktop. (It was a lot simpler in iTunes...)

May 25, 2021 4:42 AM in response to PRP_53

You must be talking about a windows device since Macs have no right click. I am not sure where the actual file is stored. I could try that if I knew where Apple stores the actual files. Maybe somebody knows. I'm so surprised no one else seems to have this problem?? In Catalina I could just click and drop files onto my MP3 device or onto why desktop, but now that doesn't work...

May 25, 2021 4:57 AM in response to timuse0

Right click should work if you have a mouse which supports it (obviously a trackpad doesn't), but in most cases control-click is the same. In any case you're not trying to change the format/extension of the files, just get them out of Podcasts. If the originals are .mp3 that is what they will be when you manage to extract them. Some podcasts may use .m4a and you would have to convert those separately.

I can't check this myself, but try looking for the stored files in ~/Music/iTunes Music/Downloads/Podcasts (this may have changed in Big Sur).

May 25, 2021 4:58 AM in response to timuse0

Right click - Magic Mouse 2 - Right side of Mouse. Although there is no set Button like on Windows designed Mice for Windows - it Functions on Magic Mouse 2 and even on Magic Mouse with removal batteries which I use on Mac Mini circa 2011 with High Sierra 10.13.6.

On the MBA M1 Big Sur 11.4 - On the builtin Trackpad - 3 Finger press and Right Click Functionally appears if setup on Trackpad Preferences.

But we digress for the PodCast Issue

May 25, 2021 5:00 AM in response to timuse0

timuse0 wrote:

Oh yes I can control click (I have a MacBook so can't understand where right click would be without a mouse). But anyway, I would have to do that on the actual file, not on the image in Podcasts (I tried and it doesn't work), and I don't know where Apple stores the actual file; does anyone?

You won't have right-click if you don't have a mouse or trackball. Does the path I suggested work? Home Folder/Music/iTunes Music/Downloads/Podcasts

Jun 2, 2021 9:37 AM in response to timuse0

Now my Podcasts are no longer loading into the cache file you had found for me last week (~/Library/Group Containers/243LU875E5.groups.com.apple.podcasts/Library/Cache); is there a way I can find where they are being put, or can you tell me where they have gone now, why they have changed? Thanks for any help.

download podcasts as MP 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.