Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is airport utilities and do I need it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2021 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 1:10 PM

AirPort Utility is an application that is built into the Mac operating system. It is used to configure and change the settings on the Apple routers......the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule......products that you see below.

If you do not have one of these products, then you won't need to use AirPort Utility at all. But, even if you do not need to use the application, it cannot be deleted from your Mac, so just ignore it. Fortunately, the application takes up almost no space on your Mac's hard drive, so this is not an issue.

If you are asking about AirPort Utility for an iPhone or iPad, the application is not installed on the operating system for these devices, but it can be downloaded and installed from the App Store if you need it and you have an Apple router.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 1:10 PM in response to maynord208

AirPort Utility is an application that is built into the Mac operating system. It is used to configure and change the settings on the Apple routers......the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule......products that you see below.

If you do not have one of these products, then you won't need to use AirPort Utility at all. But, even if you do not need to use the application, it cannot be deleted from your Mac, so just ignore it. Fortunately, the application takes up almost no space on your Mac's hard drive, so this is not an issue.

If you are asking about AirPort Utility for an iPhone or iPad, the application is not installed on the operating system for these devices, but it can be downloaded and installed from the App Store if you need it and you have an Apple router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.