Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Green dot - fotos - iphone 12 pro max

Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone has a similar problem as me. When I want to photograph the Sun or the Moon or another light, a green dot appears in the photo. I didn't have a green dot before. Is it a hardware error? Thanks so much for the reply.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 25, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 2:28 PM

What you are seeing is “lens flare”. It is the result of the physics of light. When you include a light source in your photo it will reflect between the elements of the lens. It will happen with any camera, from your cell phone to a $10,000 DSLR to a $100,000 cine movie camera. Professional photographers sometimes take advantage of it for artistic effects. Here is a much longer explanation of lens flare: What is Lens Flare and How to Deal with it in Photography

You can minimize it by trying different positions or shooting directions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 2:28 PM in response to WatchMeDance

What you are seeing is “lens flare”. It is the result of the physics of light. When you include a light source in your photo it will reflect between the elements of the lens. It will happen with any camera, from your cell phone to a $10,000 DSLR to a $100,000 cine movie camera. Professional photographers sometimes take advantage of it for artistic effects. Here is a much longer explanation of lens flare: What is Lens Flare and How to Deal with it in Photography

You can minimize it by trying different positions or shooting directions.

Green dot - fotos - iphone 12 pro max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.