Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Green dot on images and video

I have an IPhone 13 Pro and the other day when taking some images of a sunrise in RAW format

there is a small green dot in some of the images and also i took one video and the dot can be seen moving as i was panning with the IPhone which has basically ruined a nice video.

Is there any way of avoiding the green dot before taking images.(I can obviously edit the dot in processing but can’t in the video)

It would be nice to know what is causing the dot to appear.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 11:34 AM

Any time you take a photo with a light source in it (like the Sun) or just outside where the light can fall on the lens, with any camera, the light will reflect between elements of the lens and produce either dots like you see or ghost images. This is called lens flare, and is an issue for all photographers with any camera. Here’s an article on lens flare, with some suggestions→What is Lens Flare and How to Deal with it in Photography, but ultimately the best you can do is move the camera around slightly so the reflections fall outside of the edges of the CDS sensor. This isn’t always possible, but it’s the best you can hope for.

Just so you don’t think this is just a problem for your model phone, here is a user tip that shows it can appear in any camera, including $25,000 professional cameras→iPhone Camera Lens Flare and Reflections - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 11:34 AM in response to PING11

Any time you take a photo with a light source in it (like the Sun) or just outside where the light can fall on the lens, with any camera, the light will reflect between elements of the lens and produce either dots like you see or ghost images. This is called lens flare, and is an issue for all photographers with any camera. Here’s an article on lens flare, with some suggestions→What is Lens Flare and How to Deal with it in Photography, but ultimately the best you can do is move the camera around slightly so the reflections fall outside of the edges of the CDS sensor. This isn’t always possible, but it’s the best you can hope for.

Just so you don’t think this is just a problem for your model phone, here is a user tip that shows it can appear in any camera, including $25,000 professional cameras→iPhone Camera Lens Flare and Reflections - Apple Community

Green dot on images and video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.