Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 with water damage after 5min under rain

Hi,

My iPhone 11, what is announced IP68 certified, has a water damage after I walk 5min under rain. My iPhone was with a case and inside my running belt.

I paid a visit to an Apple Store and nobody touched it because it has water damage and it is not covered by warranty, but at same time I bought a IP68 certified product that is not true.

How 5min of rain can be compared with 30 min submerged under 2m of water?! and announced to be ok?!

Anyone experienced the same issue? How do you solved it?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on May 25, 2021 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 3:57 PM

IP68 is a laboratory test under controlled conditions only.

If your phone is now damaged the only option is to pay for an out of warranty repair, which if you do not have AppleCare+, will be $399.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 3:57 PM in response to ClaudiaZ_

IP68 is a laboratory test under controlled conditions only.

If your phone is now damaged the only option is to pay for an out of warranty repair, which if you do not have AppleCare+, will be $399.

May 25, 2021 3:55 PM in response to ClaudiaZ_

Because certification tests for Watches, phones, portable electronics, etc. are done under carefully controlled laboratory conditions. The water temperature is tepid and they don't drop the device in the water it is carefully placed there so there is no water pressure. And the water resistance diminishes over time. Most importantly Apple (and almost everyone else) does not provide warranty coverage for IP68 rated water damage. Rain has water pressure and your case holds the water in.

Coming from the watch world I would never get an IP68 rated device and use it in the rain or around water. Your only options are to do an out-of-warranty replacement of your iPhone (this is a assuming you do not have AppleCare +), recycle it and buy a new phone, or find a reputable 3rd party repair site that has experience working on water-damaged small electronics. If you go the latter route Apple may refuse to work on your iPhone in the future.

iPhone 11 with water damage after 5min under rain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.