Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove auto-complete entry in terminal new remote connection menu

Hello. I have been trying to delete the auto-complete (or maybe autofill or suggestion) entries in the dropdown menu in the remote connections management in the terminal app. However, I wasn't able to find out related information after much googling. The window in the screenshot above is shown after running the builtin terminal app in macos and opening the menu [S****]-[New Remote Connection].

I have tried using some combinations of fn, command, option, shift with delete including fn+shift+delete. I also tried removing some caches in the ~/Library/Cache . How could I delete these mistyped entries?

iMac Pro

Posted on May 26, 2021 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 9:25 PM

Hi. I am the person who asked the question here.

Well, a brody's solution didn't actually work straight forward, but I was able to get some hints.

So the entries were in the plist file /Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist

I was able to simple delete the entry with the following steps.

1. go to the directory where the file is present
  2. change the format of the file to xml by the command plutil -convert xml1 com.apple.Terminal.plist
  3. open the file with an editor, then find and delete the string that you want to delete. Make sure the index is consistent with the xml format.
  4. change the format back to binary by the command plutil -convert binary1 com.apple.Terminal.plist

I don't know whether the last step is required. I am happy now. Thanks for the replies.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 9:25 PM in response to orangecalculator

Hi. I am the person who asked the question here.

Well, a brody's solution didn't actually work straight forward, but I was able to get some hints.

So the entries were in the plist file /Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist

I was able to simple delete the entry with the following steps.

1. go to the directory where the file is present
  2. change the format of the file to xml by the command plutil -convert xml1 com.apple.Terminal.plist
  3. open the file with an editor, then find and delete the string that you want to delete. Make sure the index is consistent with the xml format.
  4. change the format back to binary by the command plutil -convert binary1 com.apple.Terminal.plist

I don't know whether the last step is required. I am happy now. Thanks for the replies.

May 26, 2021 10:59 AM in response to orangecalculator

I know of this this menu entry, but I prefer to use Terminal -> Preferences -> Profiles (tab) for my frequently used ssh connections. Then you can use Terminal -> Shell -> New Window or New Tab and pick your Uniquely named Profile.

If I have to do a one-off ssh connection, I just type the ssh command in a local Terminal session.

Another advantage of Profiles, is you can use Terminal -> Window -> Save Windows as Group, then set your Terminal Preferences to open the saved Window Group when launching Terminal, and all your saved terminal windows and tabs that have ssh connections will be re-established.

If I need some complex ssh setup that is too messy to put in the Profile -> Shell -> Run Command, I can setup a .ssh/config file with my own alias that has tons of ssh options (see: man ssh_config)

remove auto-complete entry in terminal new remote connection menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.