Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't burn CDs and I'm SO FRUSTRATED!!!

I have been burning cds for years from my 2013 MacBook Pro using iTunes and and exterior disk drive. The "Verbatim" blank discs have worked perfectly. Recently, both my old and newer Macs tell me the VERY SAME discs are for "data;" they wouldn't play in a boom box or on either Mac. (Per Amazon, others have had the same experience.)

I purchased a different brand (Memorex) and, even though they said they were "burning," they won't play, either!

My newer (2017) Mac uses an external drive for my iTunes library (not enough space), and I tried burning the playlist from it, but no luck.

I also tried purchasing and using the "Toast" app, but it won't work on older operating systems and the most recent doesn't have iTunes...

(I'm choosing the "audio" setting, rather than MP3 or data.)

An elderly friend has only a CD player and I was looking forward to giving her music, but I've been thwarted repeatedly... :(

Can ANYone help me? I would appreciate it more than I can say!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 26, 2021 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 5:22 AM

Optical drives don't last forever. You can try burning a CD at reduced speed, say 2x or 4x, and see if that plays back reliably. If not then you might want to purchase a new external optical drive. This can be bought for something like $25/£25.

tt2

4 replies

May 29, 2021 6:15 AM in response to turingtest2

YES! Yes, turingtest2, yes, YES, YES!!!4

It WORKED!!!

Are you feeling my enormous gratitude?! I certainly hope so!

This has been an obsession for nearly a month; I've spent a total of $160 plus, in my quest (Toast, Wondershare, and the Office software I had to purchase when, in the course of it all, I deleted my operating system in trying to update, then discovered I couldn't use iTunes. My Word program was lost in the scuffle...

Yes, I'm an old lady who's trying... I called Apple last year, asking about my phone. The young man demanded, "Don't you have a KID?!" Turingtest2, my kid isn't a kid!

Again, THANK YOU, turingtest2; you're my HERO!!!

Can't burn CDs and I'm SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.