Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why apple card unavailable for sharing with family member

Posted on May 26, 2021 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 12:34 AM

Hi, some card holders are having issues adding participants and co-owners. Here is an Apple Support article on adding Participants and Co-owners,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212020

Here are a few things that I’ve found to be issues when adding my spouse and son,

1. all iPhones must be iOS 14.6
  2. turn off VPN
  3. log out and in to your Apple ID
  4. ask Participants and/or Co-owner to log out and into their Apple ID
  5. make sure you and participants are currently in US.
  6. make sure Participants and Co-owner has Apple Cash setup in Wallet App
  7. Family Group members should update the age in Apple ID. >> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204164

I’m sure there maybe other challenges that Apple will fine tune. This feature was only added about two weeks ago.

I hope this helps.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 12:34 AM in response to bajaboggs

Hi, some card holders are having issues adding participants and co-owners. Here is an Apple Support article on adding Participants and Co-owners,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212020

Here are a few things that I’ve found to be issues when adding my spouse and son,

1. all iPhones must be iOS 14.6
  2. turn off VPN
  3. log out and in to your Apple ID
  4. ask Participants and/or Co-owner to log out and into their Apple ID
  5. make sure you and participants are currently in US.
  6. make sure Participants and Co-owner has Apple Cash setup in Wallet App
  7. Family Group members should update the age in Apple ID. >> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204164

I’m sure there maybe other challenges that Apple will fine tune. This feature was only added about two weeks ago.

I hope this helps.

Jun 7, 2021 9:33 PM in response to partha212

I am having the same issue. All my family members are using iOS 14.6 fully updated and family share is working perfectly. All family members are adults ( my wife and my college age kids). When I click the 3 dots and click to share, my list of family members appear, but their names are faded out and a message saying “sharing is unavailable” shows up.

Jun 9, 2021 3:47 AM in response to bajaboggs

A user posted late last night that he had to do a restore on his wife’s iPhone and then update to iOS 14.6 again. So, it’s possible something went wrong with the update that the restore fixed

Make sure all your wife’s data is backed up to iCloud if you decide to restore and update. You may just want to update to iOS 14.7 in a few weeks when it’s released publicly.

Jun 17, 2021 4:56 PM in response to Jeff Donald

I ended up calling into Goldman Sachs support who sent me to Apple support, who sent me the second level Apple support. The answer I ultimately got from them was that there are a few people for whom they have not figured out how to fix this problem. She told me that perhaps it might get fixed and a iOS software update. And to just keep trying. My Apple ID is close to 20 years old so I think it may be some bug attached to legacy Apple IDs. Anyone else who is having this a really long time customer? This is just a personal theory, but who knows…

Jun 17, 2021 5:10 PM in response to suzannefromherndon

Yes, my Apple ID is a legacy ID that goes back to the very first day Steve Jobs announced iTools and the availability of dot Mac email addresses. I believe this was 1999. I had issues adding my wife as a co-owner. I traced it to getting her Apple Cash card/account set up. I ended up canceling the invite to her. Setting up her Apple Cash and then sending the invite again. Lo and behold it worked.

Jun 29, 2021 12:28 PM in response to AriBenZion

I just spent 2+ hours on the phone with support for this exact issue - three different calls in fact. Was told at the end of each that these features aren't actually available until late July. Seems crazy but that's the conclusion that three different support folks finally came to - 2 from apple and one from the bank that supports the card. Sounds a little fishy but this is what I was told.

Jul 27, 2021 8:44 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I did the latest iOS update today and now I could add one of my sons. It was software version 14.7.1! I had called into Apple support about this and they said that they were aware of a problem and it might get fixed in the next iOS update. It seems it has. I still need to figure out why the other people in my family are unavailable, but it’s a start.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.