Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

emails received garbled

emails received on my iMac are often garbled, show no sender, and with attachments missing. The same emails passed via my iPhone to my iMac are shown correctly.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 26, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 5:41 PM

Start with this my friend...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 5:41 PM in response to FreshfordRog

Start with this my friend...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Jun 4, 2021 2:49 PM in response to FreshfordRog

Wo, I never heard of that, maybe your copy is infected???

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

Jun 4, 2021 1:05 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua. My earlier relief was somewhat premature, as the garbled emails started appearing once I restarted my Family History research. However, I had only run a couple of programs, and realized things bagan again after I started up my Chrome browser. So I shut this down, rebuilt the Mail inbox, which downloaded the "problem" emails from the server, and all worked fine! Presumably there is some sort of Mail clash with the Chrome browser. What do you think?

emails received garbled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.