Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID - can’t change from @gmail.com to @me.com

It looks like I should be able to change it, but it doesn’t actually work. I get this vague “error description not available “ message.

When I sign in to iCloud I use my @me.com address. The Gmail address shows up after I sign in and is the family account ID.

I no longer use the gmail address and want my Apple ID to be my @me.com address. I know about changing the email addresses associated with the ID. I just want to get rid of the Gmail Apple ID.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on May 26, 2021 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 5:20 PM

Can you change the ID email address to your @iCloud.com ID?

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 5:20 PM in response to western electric

Can you change the ID email address to your @iCloud.com ID?

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

May 26, 2021 5:41 PM in response to western electric

That’s because your @me.com address is nothing more than an alias to your iCloud account and has been so since 2012 (see -> iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support). You cannot use an alias as a primary email address for an AppleID.

You may be able to change it to your @icloud.com address if you wish but please pay attention to Eric’s post as to why you may wish to continue to use a third party email address instead of your iCloud address.

Apple ID - can’t change from @gmail.com to @me.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.