Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No format option in apple notes on ipad mini 4

I have a IPad mini 4. When I use the notes app, there is no format option for notes like on my IPhone 7. The format option that allows you to choose heading, body, or add columns. I can use bold, italicize and underline, but can’t change the text size to the options of “body”, “subheading”, etc.

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on May 26, 2021 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 6:43 AM

I have no idea what the issue is

Something strange is happening here.

The formatting option, in the iOS Notes app,, should NOT be iPad model dependent/specific.

The iOS Notes app should be the exact same app across ALL iPad models and the same no matter the iOS/iPadOS version.

Try backing up/moving all of your iOS Notes app notes to iCloud, delete the Notes app and then re-download the Notes app from the iOS App Store.

Make sure all of your notes are safely stored in iCloud. Just to make sure the notes are safe in iCloud, turn off iCloud on your iPad.

Then, delete the Notes app and re-install the app using this App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/notes/id1110145109

Then turn iCloud back on your iPad, and, if you want, move all of your notes back inside of your iPad from iCloud.

Best of Luck to You!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 6:43 AM in response to mini4user17

I have no idea what the issue is

Something strange is happening here.

The formatting option, in the iOS Notes app,, should NOT be iPad model dependent/specific.

The iOS Notes app should be the exact same app across ALL iPad models and the same no matter the iOS/iPadOS version.

Try backing up/moving all of your iOS Notes app notes to iCloud, delete the Notes app and then re-download the Notes app from the iOS App Store.

Make sure all of your notes are safely stored in iCloud. Just to make sure the notes are safe in iCloud, turn off iCloud on your iPad.

Then, delete the Notes app and re-install the app using this App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/notes/id1110145109

Then turn iCloud back on your iPad, and, if you want, move all of your notes back inside of your iPad from iCloud.

Best of Luck to You!

May 28, 2021 7:38 PM in response to MichelPM

Still not working.

I am attaching two screenshots: one of my ipad mini 4 and one of my iphone 7. The picture is of a note with text highlighted. You can clearly see the one from the Ipad mini does not have the format menu, while the one from the iphone does. This is not a new problem. It has been that way for years on other Ipad minis and other earlier operating systems.

Ipad mini

IPHONE 7

No format option in apple notes on ipad mini 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.