Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the new Apple TV 4K (2021) and when watching purchased movies through Apple, it continues to exit to the menu every 15 minutes or so. Updated to newest TV OS version. Any suggestions?

I have the new Apple TV 4K (2021) and when watching purchased movies through Apple, it continues to exit to the menu every 15 minutes or so. Updated to the most recent TV OS. Any suggestions?

Apple TV, tvOS 14

Posted on May 26, 2021 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 7:27 AM

I believe I have fixed the issue with the actions below, or at least I was able to get through an entire 4K movie (with Dolby vision and Atmos enabled) without kicking me out multiple times to the movie menu.

1. Restarted both my modem and router
  2. Unplugged the Apple TV 4K (gen 2) and plugged back in after about 30 seconds
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 7:27 AM in response to barberlives123

I believe I have fixed the issue with the actions below, or at least I was able to get through an entire 4K movie (with Dolby vision and Atmos enabled) without kicking me out multiple times to the movie menu.

2. Unplugged the Apple TV 4K (gen 2) and plugged back in after about 30 seconds

May 27, 2021 12:37 PM in response to SigNatSkye

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, SigNatSkye!

From our understanding, your purchased movie streams exit automatically after 15 minutes. We can certainly understand your concern and can help provide some insight.

We recommend checking out this link on troubleshooting streaming issues with your Apple TV: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Let us know if that helps and kindest regards!

May 27, 2021 2:30 PM in response to SigNatSkye

Hi SigNatSkye,

We appreciate your time and thank you for partnering up with us to resolve this issue. We would like to ask you a couple of questions in order to get a more detail understanding of the situation. First, have you tried restarting all devices and trying again? Also, how many devices do you have connected to your Wi-Fi network? If too many devices are communicating, you might have ISP lease issues with the network causing time outs like this one. Finally, have you tried resetting the Apple TV? Sometimes starting fresh can help fix most of the irregularities the system is experiencing. Check out this link for more details: Reset or restore your Apple TV to its factory settings - Apple Support

We thank you for your answers, they will help guide us to the next troubleshooting step.

May 31, 2021 6:54 AM in response to Lynacchi

I don’t disagree that tvOS 14.6 introduced this issue, and I did report it to the Apple. The person I spoke to was polite, but they didn’t seem to believe me that this issue could be widespread and didn’t have any interest in capturing logs. I’m really hoping Apple addresses this with their next tvOS release. That said, the actions I have suggested have completely fixed the issue for me and some other users. I’m sorry it didn’t work for you, but I would still suggest other users try this in the interim while waiting on the next tvOS release.

2. Unplugged the Apple TV 4K (gen 2) from the outlet and plugged it back in after about 30 seconds
  3. If 1 and 2 don’t work, do a full factory reset

May 27, 2021 1:33 PM in response to barberlives123

Thanks for the response and that accurately describes the issue. The caveat I would add is that content does not stop playing randomly on other apps (i.e. Fubo , Netflix, YouTube) and this is only for movies purchased through Apple/iTunes. I have gigabit Internet and a Wi-Fi six capable Nighthawk router, getting over 600 mbps down on the Speedtest App on Apple TV. Not to mention this has never happened on any of my other Apple TV HD’s and Gen one 4K Apple TV’s. I can’t be certain, but I feel like this issue was introduced with the tvOS version 14.6 that rolled out earlier this week, although I didn’t watch a ton of content prior to update (just delivered last Friday). I have tried restarting multiple times as well.

May 27, 2021 3:14 PM in response to barberlives123

I have 23 to 25 connected devices at any given time, but I have gigabit internet and a Netgear Nighthawk AX12 dual band WiFi 6 router that should be more than capable of handling this number of devices (most non WiFi 6 devices are on the slower 2.4 GHz band) . I have restarted my modem and router recently but not since these issues have started, but have not had any connectivity issues with any other device. I can certainly try that though. I have restarted but not done a full reset on my Apple TV 4K gen 2 , but the thing is brand new, and I just set it up less than a week ago….then updated to tv os 14.6 on Tuesday. I’ll give it a try after I restart the modem and router if that doesn’t work.

May 29, 2021 6:16 AM in response to Lynacchi

Yes, it’s very frustrating and I’m hoping the issues don’t come back on mine. The only other suggestions I have, is to make sure your Apple TV is on your 5 GHz band if your router is a dual band. Go into your network settings on your Apple TV and make sure the signal strength is strong at four or five bars. Lastly, this has the potential to introduce more issues, but you could try tvOS beta 14.7 when the public version is available very soon or just wait for the final release ….but that final release could be a month or so away. Granted, Apple could release a 14.6 dot release in the interim before 14.7 to resolve some of these issues. Sorry, not sure what else to suggest.

May 29, 2021 8:54 AM in response to SigNatSkye

I seem to be having a similar issue, again only whilst watching purchased movies. I get "there's a problem loading this content" every 20 or so minutes.

I have the latest Apple TV 4K 64gb and have tried the 14.6 & 14.7 beta software. I've rebooted my Virgin Media (SH4) which is in modem mode and my Linksys Velop MX4000 router. I've tried connecting over ethernet and Wifi but get the same message.

I get around 500mbps down & 40 up and don't have issues with any other device or streaming service.

It's not a major issue, just a bit frustrating. Hopefully it will just be resolved in a future update.

May 29, 2021 9:15 AM in response to RMGEEE

I have the same version of Apple TV that you have and was experiencing the issue until I reset both my modem and router, and then unplugged my Apple TV from the outlet and plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. We have now watched a total of three different purchased movies without experiencing the issue again. Definitely try to unplug your Apple TV if you haven’t done so already, and then consider doing a full factory reset, as I have seen that work for other users.

May 29, 2021 4:32 PM in response to RMGEEE

Hey guys, all this re-plugging, re-starting and resetting makes no sense. It's definitely the 14.6 update. I had a replacement unit sent to me, with 14.5, which runs without any problems. After I updated it to 14.6, the errors came right back. I am now in contact with Apple by phone. There they also assume a software error. I have also sent them my logs from the ATV etc.. The service employee also said that it would be good if all affected people would call so that they get the logs to find the error. So I ask you all to call Apple, refer to this and send your ATV logs to them. This is the only way to get rid of the problem.

I have the new Apple TV 4K (2021) and when watching purchased movies through Apple, it continues to exit to the menu every 15 minutes or so. Updated to newest TV OS version. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.