You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV Siri Remote not pairing with (last year's) Apple TV 4k

I'm having problems pairing my new Apple TV Siri Remote to my Apple TV 4k (purchased Summer 2020).

Actually, what you are about to read is happening to **both** remotes, since I'm also trying with a second one, also a similar new Apple Siri TV Remote (thought the first one was broken and replaced it).

Followed all the rules and procedures: turned off Apple TV, waited for a few seconds, brought the charged remote close to the TV, made the usual key combos.... etc. etc. etc. as per all the previous Apple TV+remotes that I've owned in the past few years.

Couldn't pair it with my Apple TV.

I just get the annoying top-right notification asking me to bring it closer to the Apple TV, though I've tried every conceivable distance and position, even cleaned the products just to make sure there weren't any dirt covering any sensors and making things worse.

So... couldn't pair two identical new remotes.

I'm guessing this is probably a bug of some kind that will be solved?

Just to be clear: I'm trying to pair the new remote with a previous Apple TV 4k purchased in 2020.

Is anyone experiencing the same symptons?

Thanks!

Posted on May 27, 2021 2:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 9:53 AM

Got it!

My bad... my Apple TV was stuck on 14.4 and didn't update to 14.5 for some reason (although I had the "Update automatically"option clicked).

Updated to 14.5 and the Remote now pairs in two seconds.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

6 replies

May 28, 2021 9:55 AM in response to Toscano

Note: Sometimes the Siri remote will automatically pair by itself. If you try to pair a Siri remote that is already paired you will get the following confusing on screen message: 

Pairing Remote 

Bring it closer to your 

Apple TV to continue pairing. 

No matter how close you bring it to Apple TV it will not pair since it is already paired.

Can you test your remote and see if it is already paired? Let us know so others with the same problem can be helped.

New Apple TV Siri Remote not pairing with (last year's) Apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.